• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone have a link saved for the clock install in a 99/00 car?

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Since the forum moved I can't find the old "how to". I want to grab a clock from the evilbay or somewhere and install it in my car since not having a clock is driving me nuts. I've always had a clock in every car I've owned lol. I did a search, came up with nothing so either my skills are weak or the forum move erased the info.

Since the forum moved I can't find the old "how to". I want to grab a clock from the evilbay or somewhere and install it in my car since not having a clock is driving me nuts. I've always had a clock in every car I've owned lol. I did a search, came up with nothing so either my skills are weak or the forum move erased the info.

The old forums (where you are likely to find that information) are down. Our administrator (World Tour) reminds us that this sight is run by volunteers that also have other responsibilities including making a living to support their families. We are not sure how long it will be down, but it is intended that they will be restored.

From what I remember, the connectors and wiring are still there on some of the early E1 cars (late 98). That may be the case for a few early 99s as well. If the wiring and connectors are not there, try to buy a clock that includes the connector and some of the wires. Someone other than me will need to help you with where to tap those wires to.

It was also posted that there is some reasonably common computer connector that is an exact match to the clock although you still need to figure out the wiring. Perhaps a computer repair shop can help you find a connector with some pigtail wiring attached.

Oh, one last question. How do you actually remove the old piece and install the clock? Do you just pull on the vent trim piece with your hands till it pops off and then you have access to it or is there something else you need to do?

You can just pull on the piece and will pop out. You can use a flathead screwdriver to assist, though be careful not to scratch the plastic.

That install works great. I have done a half a dozen of them. Just besure to test the clock and make sure the bulb is good and it has the green condom on it. Otherwise it displays orange.
AF

How do I test the clock? Just touch the ground wire to the frame and the power wire to the positive post of my battery? Also can I just color the bulb with a green sharpie if the condom is missing?

To do testing I have a fuse holder that I put the correct size fuse in then this has leads on it that are about 2' long with clips on them so I can then clip on to what I am testing. This can be clipped onto your battery or in my case I use a battery jumper power pack. However you do it I just suggest that you have a fuse in the mix for circuit protection. The always hot wire and the ground will give you a dim clock. Adding the ignition powered wire will brighten the display. Adding the dash light power will dim the display again.

I have heard of folks painting the bulb with a green sharpie. The covers can be found at parts-express.com if you wanted to get some. I think they are the .02 size but I am not sure of that.

AF

I downloaded the doc from the web site but now it is too large to repost??? I don't seem to be able to save the connector pic separately from the doc and it is to large by itself to post in the doc...... here are the rest of the instructions. If you want the whole thing PM me with your email add.
AF

The clock has only 8 pins on the back. From those 8 only 5 are used if you have PASSIVE ANTITHEFT, otherwise only 4 are used.
Looking at the connector:
PIN 3 (Violet) is 12 volt from the ignition(12 volt when key is turned).
PIN 4 (White/Red) is the voltage for Illumination (From Dimmer)
PIN 5 (Black/Orange) Ground
PIN 11 (Black/Orange) Comes from Antitheft (If available)
PIN 12 (Orange) 12 volts continuous (Memory)
Details.
If you already have Passive Antitheft on your car, then the cables that are used to the give power to the existing LED can be used for PINS 11,12. The ORANGE has 12 volts and can be put at PIN 12, while the other one (I think Black/Violet) can go to PIN 11.
The rest of the cables, you must pull them from the Tape player connector.
Pull your Tape player out, and unplug the connector that gives power to the Tape player. If you don't have the wire configuration here it is:
Orange/Black = 12 volts all the time (If you don't have Antitheft you need this for PIN 12).
Black/Green = Ground (use for PIN 5)
Blue/Black = 12 volt when ignition on (use for PIN 3)
White/Green = Voltage for Illumination from Dimmer(Use for PIN 4)
That is all you need. Please check the voltages on your own to verify that you have the same numbers. If you do this, you do it on your own risk and I have no responsibility for any damage you may cause to your car.

INSERT CONNECTOR PIC HERE

The clock has only 8 pins on the back. From those 8 only 5 are used if you have PASSIVE ANTITHEFT, otherwise only 4 are used.
Looking at the connector:
PIN 3 (Violet) is 12 volt from the ignition(12 volt when key is turned).
PIN 4 (White/Red) is the voltage for Illumination (From Dimmer)
PIN 5 (Black/Orange) Ground
PIN 11 (Black/Orange) Comes from Antitheft (If available)
PIN 12 (Orange) 12 volts continuous (Memory)
Details.
If you already have Passive Antitheft on your car, then the cables that are used to the give power to the existing LED can be used for PINS 11,12. The ORANGE has 12 volts and can be put at PIN 12, while the other one (I think Black/Violet) can go to PIN 11.
The rest of the cables, you must pull them from the Tape player connector.
Pull your Tape player out, and unplug the connector that gives power to the Tape player. If you don't have the wire configuration here it is:
Orange/Black = 12 volts all the time (If you don't have Antitheft you need this for PIN 12).
Black/Green = Ground (use for PIN 5)
Blue/Black = 12 volt when ignition on (use for PIN 3)
White/Green = Voltage for Illumination from Dimmer(Use for PIN 4)
That is all you need. Please check the voltages on your own to verify that you have the same numbers. If you do this, you do it on your own risk and I have no responsibility for any damage you may cause to your car.

Back