• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

threading a shifter?

ConcepTrs913

Veteran CEG'er
I was looking into getting another short shifter because I had one before, but it broke. I don't really care about the performance too much I just really hate how long the stock one is. I searched around and couldn't find much, but is it possible to cut down the stock one and then rethread it? I have read about it before I think, but how could i get it rethreaded and where?

I did this on my 96, which is a rod shift. Just dont cut too much off like I did, then the shifter looks too stubby and is too hard to shift.

1 Cut down maybe 3/4" tops (a little = more than you think)
2 Use the cutting wheel to cut a "slit" or notch into the shifter and bend over the cable for the reverse lockout, then zip tie. The purpose of this step is to basically pinch the reverse lockout cable so it is in an always "up" position, therefore eliminating the reverse lockout completely.
3. Use a die to rethread with the same pitch as stock
4. thread on shift knob
5. Drive like an asshole
6. Smile

I did this on my 96, which is a rod shift. Just dont cut too much off like I did, then the shifter looks too stubby and is too hard to shift.

1 Cut down maybe 3/4" tops (a little = more than you think)
2 Use the cutting wheel to cut a "slit" or notch into the shifter and bend over the cable for the reverse lockout, then zip tie. The purpose of this step is to basically pinch the reverse lockout cable so it is in an always "up" position, therefore eliminating the reverse lockout completely.
3. Use a die to rethread with the same pitch as stock
4. thread on shift knob
5. Drive like an asshole
6. Smile
Post 98s do not have the cable and this can skip that step. For those that have a pre98, you can simply remove the snap ring and pull out the shifter. From there you just cut the top metal piece off the cable and pull re rest of the cable out the bottom. Then reinstall the shifter and snap ring.

i hated the height of my stock shifter, so i removed it from the car, and using a hacksaw i cut the threaded portion off of the shifter, cut out about another 2 inches, and then welded the threaded portion back on. worked great :laugh:

you can always just cut off how much you want and install a shift nob that doesnt need to be threaded on...

Thats how mine was done when i got the car.

i brought my shifter to a machining shop and all they did was cut out like an inch of the shifter and rewelded it together for 10 bucks. it looks great and is just as strong as it was before. they really did a good job and ill take pics in a day or two when i install it

Heres my setup..

100_0284.jpg

100_0285.jpg

Shifter height from the top plate... 4 1/2"
100_0286.jpg

Length from the bend. 3"
100_0287.jpg

Stock Shifter length from the bend. 6"
100_0288.jpg

Back