• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Driver window stuck in down position

tasso

CEG'er
The driver side window motor is running but will only go up 3-4 inches and then you hear the motor labor and window stops. Does the regulator in these have a cable or something that gets tangled or is it something else?

The window regulator is a cable type. What usually happens is that one of the cable guides where the cable makes a turn wears and the cable binds. The repair is to replace the regulator.

As a temporary thing you may be able to get the window up with the help of a friend. You need someone to operate the switch while you with the door open squeeze the glass firmly between both hands and apply upward pressure. If the glass stalls, release the switch a moment and try again. It may help to back the glass down an inch or so and try again.

When I needed one, used and rebuilt ones were available on ebay, used ones were in CEG classifieds, and of course new ones were available from the dealer. It can be changed in about an hour if you take your time.

Right on Big Jim. Tasso, please don't waste your time trying to figure out what happened and why. Replace the regulator and after the window is working again then you can spend the rest of the winter fooling with the broken one. You can probably find one at you friendly local neighborhood junk yard.

Another fellow just had the same problem and I did a write up on what it takes to get this done. Do a search of my posts and you will find it. The worst part is getting the darn screw cover plug on the window vent cover off.

Good Luck, and if you need more info contact me.

Merry Christmas

Thanks guys, I will get a new regulator and tackle it this weekend :)

Thanks guys, I will get a new regulator and tackle it this weekend :)

you may not have to, it being winter this happend to me last year with my passenger window, it took everything to move it up, what you can do is jump the switch by taking it out and trying to override it and force the motor to run. That then apply A LOT OF THAT RED OIL lube stuff, (not tranny oil) and voila, it should work like new again.

Back