• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

odometer???

i know if i say yes everyone is gonna rag on me about it....so uhhh....no...:shrug:

but ya, i had a camaro back in the day and it had a little switch installed so you could just turn on/off the speedometer/odometer, didnt know what the switch was for untill i kicked it with my foot while driving and cut the dash off... previous owner must have installed it, and i didnt know about it for almost a year after i had the car... but my tour has sickening low miles, and just wondering if this could be a possibility on one of these cars....or if it was possible to do?!?

i know if i say yes everyone is gonna rag on me about it....so uhhh....no...:shrug:

but ya, i had a camaro back in the day and it had a little switch installed so you could just turn on/off the speedometer/odometer, didnt know what the switch was for untill i kicked it with my foot while driving and cut the dash off... previous owner must have installed it, and i didnt know about it for almost a year after i had the car... but my tour has sickening low miles, and just wondering if this could be a possibility on one of these cars....or if it was possible to do?!?

It is possible, but only if you open up the cluster and yada yada yada. Is it likely.... No. As far as your camero, I doubt that was what the switch was for, I would find it more likely that the speedo cutting out was the result of a short or bad wiring.

What would be the point of that kind of mod? To defraud a potential buyer? So that you can trick yourself into missing your scheduled maintenance? If your odometer was inaccurate, it would more than likely be the result of someone rolling it back, however, its not as easy to do with a modern car as an older vehicle, so you probably just have a low milage tour. Perhaps some little old lady owned it and only drove it on sundays to go to church.

nope, on the camaro the wires went from the trans thru the firewall and right above the drivers footwell there was a switch installed into the wiring running from the speed sensor to the instrument panel, the switch just hung down there, and basically cut power to it, tach and everything else still worked, but the speedo/odometer cut out, i know it was fraud, but i got the car from a kid for a sweet deal anyways...and as for my tour, i know it wasnt a little old lady's sunday car, i traded it to the original owners son (2nd owner) who owned it since 03... when his daddy gave him the car:nonono:

realized this already...:nonono:

cant really tell you if yours has been modified, I can only tell you it is possible. As far as telling you how to do it, I am not going to, and I doubt you will find anyone else on here who will. It would be obvious if you took it apart if it was modified, but I doubt it was. If you try to modify it yourself I hope it breaks for you, the only time one should ever adjust their odometer is if they are swapping in a different cluster and are adjusting it to match their actual mileage.

cant really tell you if yours has been modified, I can only tell you it is possible. As far as telling you how to do it, I am not going to, and I doubt you will find anyone else on here who will. It would be obvious if you took it apart if it was modified, but I doubt it was. If you try to modify it yourself I hope it breaks for you, the only time one should ever adjust their odometer is if they are swapping in a different cluster and are adjusting it to match their actual mileage.

That's the only time I did it, when I switched from KM to MPH. If you even try to move the odometer digits backwards it will scrap up the numbers and it's nearly impossible to put it back together so it looks like nothing has been tampered with it. I know I couldn't but then again I have a honest reason of doing it. What's your reason?

That's the only time I did it, when I switched from KM to MPH. If you even try to move the odometer digits backwards it will scrap up the numbers and it's nearly impossible to put it back together so it looks like nothing has been tampered with it. I know I couldn't but then again I have a honest reason of doing it. What's your reason?

I replaced my instrument cluster after I got the car. Then last year I picked up an SVT cluster, so I rolled the SVT cluster forward to match the total milage of my original cluster + the milage on the brand new cluster I bought 3 years ago.

There is never a need to roll forward odometers. If you're swapping clusters, then the cluster you're swapping in will have an odometer. It is EASY to pop out the odometer and switch them. That's what I did when I installed the V6 cluster into my car.

:nonono: to yourself .... what your trying to do I am pretty sure is illegal anyway ... what do you expect :shrug:

:help:

fail.png

as i ALREADY STATED IN PREVIOUS POSTS....just wondering where to look for a switch...not saying im going to do this...i know its illeagle, but my car is a 96 and has 75000 miles on it, so im just curious, because this doesnt seem correct to me, but whatever...THANKS FOR THE HELP...

I wouldnt know where to look for a switch, nor would anyone except maybe the person who installed the switch, since it would be a custom modification. If you want to know if it has been modified, pull out your cluster and look. It is usually pretty easy to tell if someone messed with it. I tried telling you this before, I cant tell you without seeing the car. As far as the mileage on the odometer, that may be accurate, it isnt likely, but it is possible. It is also possible that they swapped a different cluster in at some point in time. The only way you could know is if you ask the previous owner if that is the correct mileage and they will honestly answer you.

I had a 94 Trans Am i bought new and it was common knowledge amongst the f body guys that alls ya had to do was pull a fuse ..not gonna say which one..and the odometer stopped working

Back