• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loud engine noise on 98 SVT

fordcupcar

CEG'er
I have a 1998 CSVT with 115k. This noise started early last week. I'm going to try and explain it as best I can. It sounds like metal-on-metal tapping, similar to if you were to roll your tongue. It is VERY audible, and most noticeable on partial throttle. I thought it was something throttle related but when I pulled it in my garage I was still able to hear the noise at idle and other times. It's most noticeable at 2k RPM's stationary, or about 3.1k RPM's partial throttle, cruising in the city. However, as soon as you let off the throttle the noise almost goes away. I know it's still there though because like I said it's noticeable at every speed when I pull it in my garage. I took a screw driver and was unable to notice anything on othe valve covers. The noise goes along with engine speed though it is semi-inconsistent. It sounds like it's coming from the front portion of the engine, though it's hard to say whether it's more driver or passenger side.

I had planned on doing UIM/LIM rebuild but now I'd like to hear some ideas so if I tear the entire thing apart I can locate the problem a little easier.

It's way too loud to be an injector tick, and I know it's not pinging. I was thinking it's valve related, but I'm prepared for the worst.

sounds like it is con rod related. Could be either end, more likely big end. You may have spun a bearing. It's not good that you have been driving like this for a while. The longer you drive it, the more damage you will do. Either; get a low milage engine or rebuild, before it lets go and destroys everything.... G.

Here is how you fix it.

Go into the Duratec 3L section.

Click "New Thread"

Name it "fordcupcar's 3L build"

Post lots of pictures

You could take a sound clip of it though for us to listen too, but I have the feeling, the more you run the engine to troubleshoot it, you will find out soon what the problem is, and I dont mean that in a good way, I mean that in the your motor no longer runs kinda way.

Noise got worse on the way home from work. She's done my friends.

Anyone in wisconsin looking for a project car?

EEK! so sad:nonono: I have the same worry but it is faint so im hoping its an injector tick or valve related. Seems to be right in the middle of the intake manifold. GOOD luck my friend.

I checked it out last night - definetly rod knock..... :nonono: I am working on picking this one up to save it.

Back