• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Data Logging with X-cal3?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so it seems like I can use my X-cal3 to data log some things without a wide band. I'm trying to monitor fuel trim, maf voltage, ignition timing, ect

the problem I seem to be having is I dont know how to save the data logging session to bring the xcal to my computer.

I've logged 4 minutes twice now, but cant seem to figure out how to save it.

interestingly enough, for MAF voltage it just says INVALID in all caps like that. could this be my problem?

That INVALID could very well be your problem.

Do you have a laptop you can use shotgun to record data? Otherwise I would suggest SCT's website on how to save data and subsequently download to your PC.

MAF voltage and MAF counts are pretty important.

That INVALID could very well be your problem.

Do you have a laptop you can use shotgun to record data? Otherwise I would suggest SCT's website on how to save data and subsequently download to your PC.

MAF voltage and MAF counts are pretty important.

I have an old 500mhz thinkpad, but the battery is dead and I dont have a car charger.

I guess I'll look at how much that would cost to fix.

SCTFLASH said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING X3 & SF3 Power Flash Devices sold prior to July 25th, 2008:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SCT has recently updated the firmware for all X3 & SF3 devices. These devices now have different firmware that will effect all future updates for your device. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] X3 devices part #3000 sold after July 25th, 2008 will now only be used for custom tuning and will no longer contain pre-loaded tunes. The SF3 device part #3015 will hold 3 custom tunes and will ship with pre-loaded tunes as in the past.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you have purchased an X3 device part #3000 or SF3 device part #3015 prior to July 25th, 2008, your device is now considered an SF3 device part #3015, even though the device stickers may state it is a part #3000. When updating your device with any future firmware or tune revisions, you must use the SF3 part #3015 device updates or you will receive an error when updating the device.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Devices sold after July25th, 2008 should use the matching firmware for the part number on the device sticker.[/FONT]

so... does that mean I should get the windows drivers for the sf3? or the xcal3? I havent updated the firmware myself, but joey preloaded my tune, ya think he updated the firmware?

i dont just want to be installing drivers all willie nillie on my pc.

There has to be a place where you can see what firmware version you have. It would either be somewhere in Xcal3 software on the device it self or when you connect it to your computer. Also, what part number do you have? Once you know that, you should be able to figure it out.

Edit: From SCT's website
BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PROGRAM YOUR VEHICLE, YOU
MUST FIRST PLUG THE DEVICE INTO A WINDOWS-BASED
PC OR LAPTOP AND UPDATE THE DEVICE. Please read the
user manual completely and go to the Device Info menu to
confirm your Firmware version and Tune Revision version.
Visit www.sctflash.com to check for updates or newer
versions of the Firmware or Tune revision. It is critical that
the update process is done prior to programming the vehicle.

Goto: http://www.sctflash.com/SF3.php

Download the user manual (if you do not already have it), and on page 10 is the info on finding your firmware version info.

yeah, I've read the manual now. stupid storm dumped my internet for a while.

I'm trying to buy a car charger for my thinkpad as well as a few usb a-b cables because one of mine got stolen with the X2 and now I've got one cable for a printer, a wireless adapter, and the X-cal. so the way it is now, I cant be online and plugged up to the X3 at the same time.

I still need to download and install the newest livelink and wait on that stuff to get here from e-bay then I'll get back with my progress.

ok, well after getting the live link 4.41.exe file to down load, the exe doesn't work. windows comes up with a "c:\--\Desktop\livelink441.exe is not a valid win32 application"

any explanation for this? I've read some folks having similar issues on focus fanatics, but no resolution. it's an april thread too, maybe sct screwed up the site upload?

What version of Windows are you using? Vista/Win7 might require you to run it in compatibility mode.

i'm running it on XP SP2 32bit.

honestly, I hate windows. the rest of the world needs to get on with the times and start using Kubuntu or some other Kernal with KDE.

windows is full of bugs like this. registry problems, inability to recognize native file types, freezez, illeagal action, error reports. it's a mess. then you add onto that a world of people trying to stuff RATs and Key loggers and Trojans specifically on the machines with windows because they figure only rednecks and the elderly still use it and those people don't pay enough attention to anything and you've got yourself probably the worst operating system of all time.

[\rant]

it seems to actually be a problem with the download though, because I downloaded it several times and I get the exe and the part files (incompleted d/l) then sometimes it claims to be done, but the app is still a generic EXE icon, then others I actually get a blue smart setup type icon, but then it says "error reading setup initialization file" so the .ini is corrupted... idk what the hell is up with this, but how many times should a person have to download a file. silly bastards should put it up as a torrent or archive it so it wouldn't take 20 minutes each time.

Make sure you delete the old file first, then try and re-download the file. I take you are using Firefox, so try using IE and see if you get the same results. Is there another computer you can use?

Make sure you delete the old file first, then try and re-download the file. I take you are using Firefox, so try using IE and see if you get the same results. Is there another computer you can use?
not untill I get that laptop charger. I've got a few single core towers laying around, but they're all taken apart and I have no ram for any of them since they take DDR1.

I have thought of trying it with inter web exploder, but I removed all that from this install for security reasons. I'd have to reinstall IE to try that, which I may do if I cant get this to work before I get a laptop charger

not untill I get that laptop charger.
you could also get an invertor instead. I have a small one (60w) for light power items and 2 600w for when i really want to flatten the batteries 'in double quick time' jk. Not sure if it's easier or cheaper.... but it is an option..... G.

There has to be a place where you can see what firmware version you have. It would either be somewhere in Xcal3 software on the device it self or when you connect it to your computer.

It's on the XCal3 somewhere. I forget where but I know I've seen it. I wanna say it tells you under 'device info' or something along those lines.

It's on the XCal3 somewhere. I forget where but I know I've seen it. I wanna say it tells you under 'device info' or something along those lines.

Yeah I posted the page in the manual where that info is located and how to get it.

KAOS, can't you try a friend's computer? If it turns out that it's not a problem on your side, call up/email SCT and get the proper file.

Back