• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Most Common Places For Vacuum Leaks

Vato2002

New CEG'er
:shrug: I have a 96 with a 2.5L got codes P0174 & P0171 thought i already fixed the vacuum leak not real familliar with this setup also i claeaned the MAF reset the codes & about 4 days later got both codes again :help: not sure where else to look checked pcv valve hose & replaced all the ones on the throttle body side that i could see any other Ideas would help Thanks

If any of the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the firewall are broken, that could cause those two codes.

The accordian tube will sometimes crack.

There is a crankcase ventilation tube under the Upper Intake Manifold (UIM) just behind the throttle body, check that.

The hard plastic vac lines & elbow fittings on top of the UIM have been known to crack. To remove one from the UIM for inspection requires only 'delicate' pressure with a flat head screwdriver on the fitting collar. The tube should then easily pull out.

Under the IMRC cover (plastic cover at front of engine bay) there is a ventilation tube for the valve cover. Mine rotted through and gave me a P0174 code just last week. Replaced the hose & code is gone.

Finally (and most likely), the upper & lower intake manifold gaskets do become worn or cracked over time. A new Fel-Pro set can be had from Rockauto.com for about $35. Perform a thorough UIM/LIM cleaning while you have it open.

Thanks i will check all that out do you know roughly how much the accordian tube is & is it dealer only ? i was thinking that was my problem was going to remove it & modify it with some rubber hose from the smooth part of the tube near the collar to the pcv valve to eliminate any further problems. I have almost 108,000 on the motor will do the cheap & easy first then see where i am at. Thanks again for the info.

... do you know roughly how much the accordian tube is & is it dealer only ?

The accordian tube is usually not a problem, but it does happen - especially if another component has been rubbing against it or if it's been abused in a R&R procedure.

SOURCE: There's usually an intake setup for a V-6 in the classifieds for a much better price than dealer - SVT sometimes even. Additionally, a visit to the local junk yard will yield a passable replacement in most cases. A short ram setup can also be cobbled together or purchased for pennies on the dollar compared to dealer pricing.

Based on the codes you have, I'm betting on the hardlines, one of their associated fittings, or the intake manifold gaskets. Be sure to check the grommet on the brake booster at the bottom end of one hard line. Your solution may be as simple as replacing that bit of rubber/foam.

I had to fix the end of the accordian hose where it goes into the end of the rubber hose at the pcv valve. the accordian tube is getting brittle cause when i was replacing the pcv valve it cracked the at the neck & it split near the break. I was going to remove the line & get some good rubber hose & hose clamps & make a new section from the connecter end to the pcv valve? The connector does it squeeze off or squeeze & twist to come off?? I will check the other places you mentioned along with rechecking my cobbled together hose Thanks I also have another problem with the radiator fans that i will be checking on I searched some of the other threads but didn't find exactly my situation I will take it one step at a time. Thanks again

I had to fix the end of the accordian hose where it goes into the end of the rubber hose at the pcv valve. the accordian tube is getting brittle cause when i was replacing the pcv valve it cracked the at the neck & it split near the break. I was going to remove the line & get some good rubber hose & hose clamps & make a new section from the connecter end to the pcv valve? The connector does it squeeze off or squeeze & twist to come off?? I will check the other places you mentioned along with rechecking my cobbled together hose Thanks I also have another problem with the radiator fans that i will be checking on I searched some of the other threads but didn't find exactly my situation I will take it one step at a time. Thanks again

mines split also. if its never been disconnected, it might take a bit of pressure. u just keep twisting both ways while tugging at it till it comes off.

I think i got it had a leak around the two on top of the intake will let you know gonna run it a couple days to see what happens thanks for all the info also i let the engine warm up to L On NORMAL fans kicked on they are fine didn't think they would be set that high but they are working. Thanks again to everybody.

Back