• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carbon Fiber?

imnotacop420

Squire of Awesome
Does anyone know where I can get a sheet of carbon fiber, or a roll of it?

I looked online, but everything I find is for model planes and stuff like that. I'll be needing a larger piece than that....

I was reading a magazine article where they put CF all over a nissan 240, and then just put a resin on top of it. It was a pretty good how to, so I am thinking about laying it over my mirko. Not sure how well it will look, but it should be a nice winter project. Then if it doesnt turn out how i want it Ill just paint it to match the car. I think it will look pretty good on the front but Im still not too sure about how it will look on the sides as it wraps around the sides of the bumper

Ebay has some nice sheets on it.

Be careful, carbon fiber is not like fiberglass. Depending on what you et it will will be hard to cut and might destroy any tool you try to use on it.
Also, carbon fiber will not be as strong as it should be if it is not put in an autoclave or vacuum bagged.

I would test it on something else first just to make sure it will work. I know it will cost a little more, but its better than ruining the mirko.

Ebay has some nice sheets on it.

Be careful, carbon fiber is not like fiberglass. Depending on what you et it will will be hard to cut and might destroy any tool you try to use on it.
Also, carbon fiber will not be as strong as it should be if it is not put in an autoclave or vacuum bagged.

I would test it on something else first just to make sure it will work. I know it will cost a little more, but its better than ruining the mirko.

I was thinking about ebay, but i wasnt sure if the cf there would be of good quality. since i am just basically laying it over fiberglass I am not too worried about how strong it will be either. I know it is going to be more difficult than i think it is, but I have all winter to figure it out.

www.topshopheadliners.com

I have gotten some of their stuff in the past for the Cougar.. its flawless or near flawless.. they sell sheets which are thin enough where you can cut it with a regular scissors and affix it to something -- kinda like a dash kit but its real and really thin so its flexible and they have it in large sheets. (sorta pricey but it looks awesome in person) Its called "Flexi Carbon"

I told them they need to start making stuff for the Contour market... I dont think they believed me when I said people other than me would buy it.

Last edited:
I was thinking about producing a lower front lip that would look strikingly similar to the mirko. But it would be made out of CF. Then i realized the amount of time to make a mold and then make the splitter. It would cost soo much money very few would buy it.

I was thinking about producing a lower front lip that would look strikingly similar to the mirko. But it would be made out of CF. Then i realized the amount of time to make a mold and then make the splitter. It would cost soo much money very few would buy it.

how would the MI roads threat that?

Rawburt makes it seem as the roads are terrible, I mean his is all screwed up :shrug:

Thats the thing. I consider the mirko a wearable part. If I where to make a CF one it would have to be for shows only kinda thing or long highway crusiing.

I think it would be sweet but def not a everyday kinda thing. I have a mold for the splitter in process

Thats the thing. I consider the mirko a wearable part. If I where to make a CF one it would have to be for shows only kinda thing or long highway crusiing.

I think it would be sweet but def not a everyday kinda thing. I have a mold for the splitter in process

I want some CF on the mirko, I think that would look neat with a black svt..oh well, keep me updated though

Top Shop can wrap any item for you in CF... be prepared to pay but it will be flawless and shiny as hell..

I consulted with them to see how much a 2 piece splitter would be to have it wrapped in CF - they quoted me 200 per side and it would have been a combo of wrapping and painting but they assured me that it would have been show quality and flawless and professional clear coat that would not later yellow.

You can email them as well.. they are prompt with replies - Tony is great to deal with!

Maybe someone can convince them to do replacement sail panels or something for us that we can later do a group buy on.

Last edited:
Top Shop can wrap any item for you in CF... be prepared to pay but it will be flawless and shiny as hell..

I consulted with them to see how much a 2 piece splitter would be to have it wrapped in CF - they quoted me 200 per side and it would have been a combo of wrapping and painting but they assured me that it would have been show quality and flawless and professional clear coat that would not later yellow.

You can email them as well.. they are prompt with replies - Tony is great to deal with!

Maybe someone can convince them to do replacement sail panels or something for us that we can later do a group buy on.

They sound pretty expensive, but from looking at their website it does look like they do good work. When you were talking with them did they mention what the average turn around time is for custom work?

they work fast.... give em a call or whip them an email - they should be able to give you better information than I can..

I do intend to talk to them about wrapping some mirror bases and sail panels after the new year.

Is it exactly like the mirko? more agressive? Less? Just curious to what your thinking about.

It would probably a very similiar part. I was thinking about photoshopping a couple diff versions and then going from there. I have a few minor tweaks i need to do to the mirko i have then I can make a mold out of it. I could make almost any design out of Glass but getting the CF to look perfect would need a perfect mold since any imperfections would be very visable.

Want to make your own CF parts, checkout what this guy is doing in his back-yard:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=660756

and here's his writeup specifically on how to make molds and make parts:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/techarticles/PBcarbonfiber.php

I just spent the last 1-2 hours reading over everything that man posted. I am simply at a loss for words.

hoodduct3ks9.jpg

rearquarter1us9.jpg

partialfrontalnuditypd4.jpg

Back