• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New DTC situation

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
ok, so now after clearing all the crap out, I'm still throwing a pig rich due to lean code on both banks... any suggestions?

also throughing an 1506 for an iac/vac problem

either one is likely, i have the 2.5 se iac jacklegged onto the 3.0 uim, bewcause some mastermind at the j/y took it off before I got my hands on the engine. it's also possible i have a leak in the EGR coupling i did. who knopws, could have a vac leak else were too, but this stupid misfire wont go away, if it wasn't for a bog down in the power when it starts I'd call it an exhaust leak as far as the sound of it, any input?

dont know much of the history on the engine, its an 02 sable 3.0 with 27k on it. when i first ran it I had the coil wired wrong and it ran on two cylinders for a while, I resolved the ignition issue and now it runs but its got this miss at mid throttle and it's throwing these codes.

would an iac or vac problem cause a mid throttle miss?

it believes it's lean, going full rich fuel trim to compensate, codes p0171 and 0174.

could I have cooked the o2's when it was pouring fuel in the exhaust due to the ignition?

Are you sure that the miss isn't due to the secondaries? did you get the tune loaded before the X-cal was stolen? I've seen alot of p1506 IAC codes thrown in the full 3L's of late. 2 of the installs I've done have had this problem. I'd suggest, since you have yours remoted, Making sure its good then checking your connections. If its not get a good one.

Really interested to see the opinions on the IAC DTC.

my IAC isn't remote, it's on normal, but it is a 2.5 one because the 3.0 didn't come with one. I had to buy a whole new x cal 3 when mine got stolen, loaded with an npg base tune. so yeah the imrc is deleted in the tune.

I had a thought, both iac's go on in the same direction right? because I put it on how it would be on a 3.0 from pictures.

but the main question is would an issue like iac, evap, vac leak cause a miss in the midrange?

my IAC isn't remote, it's on normal, but it is a 2.5 one because the 3.0 didn't come with one. I had to buy a whole new x cal 3 when mine got stolen, loaded with an npg base tune. so yeah the imrc is deleted in the tune.

I had a thought, both iac's go on in the same direction right? because I put it on how it would be on a 3.0 from pictures.

but the main question is would an issue like iac, evap, vac leak cause a miss in the midrange?

They are different. The mounting area on them is different. Try finding the right IAC before you go any further. PM me I might have one lying around.

IAC won't effect anything at midrange rpms since the throttle plate is open.

oh, something pretty important I havent mentioned yet, the miss is load related. doesn't stumble at all with no load (out of gear, clutch out), only a little in first, more in second, pretty bad in third and so on.

Sounds like plug wires to me. Try another set.

ya think? all the plugs are new, the wires had 27K on them, assuming they had never been changed on the sable. I get spark all across the front bank if I pull a wire, shove a plug in it, and ground it. is it possible for a wire to be throwing a spark, but still be causing a miss/power loss?

could I have torn up some wires when the coil was wired wrong and it was fouling plugs?

ok, so I'm going to cross post this in the egr thread too. I foun why my egr has been smoking. one of the two silicone hoses has blown off. I had both hoses hooked to the EGR pressure feed back sensor, is that how its supposed to be? so much time passed between disassymbly and the build up I might have forgotten. I know I dont remember now. but at any rate, it's been blowing hot exhaust gas all over down there.

heres a few pics of when it was out of the car. I didn't take a pic specifically, but you can get the idea from the pics. if the EGR feedback sensor is supposed to hok up to the uim, I have no idea where, or what the other hose on the egr pipe would be for.

forumegrearlypice.jpg

forumegr1.jpg

forumegr2.jpg

and now for what I feel is about to be some bad news. the little rattle I've been thinking was dieseling from a miss, seems to have developed into some kind of tick from the rear valve cover on the timing chain side, right around the PAS pump. it now ticks at idle, abd the ticking clears up under light throttle, but it rattles when you give lay into the throttle while driving. this popped up on the way back from the store tonight. I'm hoping it's something repairable like a stuck lifter or something, bucause if I've wrecked a valve I really dont feel like trying to get a head off with the engine in the car. that was the whole reason for the swap in the first place...

any help guys, I'm starting to freak out a little, being that I'll be tossed out of my house in 45 days.

so my brother in law listened to the tic and he agrees it sounds like a lifter on the back bank near the timing chain. he wants to say it's an exhaust lifter (bad) because he thinks it runs too well, but I think from the source of the sound, that its an intake lifter (not so bad at all) at any rate, it seems like I'll be pulling the top of this thing apart again. I'm going to record a sound clip, just might take me a while to host it.

if we all agree about it being a lifter, I'll need any tips on getting a lifter out without taking the timing cover off. I'm certain it can be done, just looking for any help. I'll post up another thread once we all agree what it is.

Are you sure that the miss isn't due to the secondaries? did you get the tune loaded before the X-cal was stolen? I've seen alot of p1506 IAC codes thrown in the full 3L's of late. 2 of the installs I've done have had this problem. I'd suggest, since you have yours remoted, Making sure its good then checking your connections. If its not get a good one.

Really interested to see the opinions on the IAC DTC.

Would mine be one of those p1506 IAC problems...lol... ;)
I replaced that O2 sensor today and it seemed to fix 2 of the DTC's but I still have those stubborn 3 left. (p1000, p1506, **p0602**)
Couldn't find an IAC handy the other day to try and see if it would take care of it though?

Back