• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Difficult to fill gas tank

andreslobo

Hard-core CEG'er
Does anyone have a definitive solution for the difficult to fill gas tank in warm weather. Spring has come and my difficult to fill gas tank issue has returned.

Symptoms

1. In cold weather, no problem.
2. In warm weather, I have to fill very slowly
3. In hot weather, I have to use the disconnected antenna shoved down the filler neck to fill and even then I have to fill very slowly.
4. If I am lucky enough to find a gas station that points the front of the car up hill it is easier to fill.

I know that ford issued a since expired recall to replace the filler 'valve?' Does this really work?

Or does someone have a different solution

98 contour 4 cyl auto

What I've found is if you flip the handle up and pump of works like a champ. You can even get it started like that and then rotate the handle back down like it normally would be.

What I've found is if you flip the handle up and pump of works like a champ. You can even get it started like that and then rotate the handle back down like it normally would be.

exactly what I do, I have issues no matter what weather with filling up fast then it stops, just twist the handle up either clockwise or counterclockwise then go to town.

One "method" which has worked for me is not to fill up immediately after a long highway drive. Let the car (and gas tank cool down a bit) before heading off to the gas station. I think that helps to lessen the pressure in the gas tank.

tried this and every other suggested method. coat-hanger down the filler tube, handle twisted every which-way. sometimes randomly it frees itself during one of the 50 times i have to squeeze the handle and im good to go.

have the car cooled down for several hours is the only option i've had with any success, and even then, i have to be near enough to a gas station before it warms back up again...

and i had my tour at the local ford dealership twice to fix this while it was under the 'recall period' , either they couldnt replicate the problem on command, or they said they fixed it (B.S.)

oh well bring on another summer :cool:

I always let it sit while I check under the hood and wash the windows. On my other cars I'd just lock the pump and let it go but the Contour has spit fuel out twice now so I like to be right there to make sure it shuts off correctly.

So there is no certain fix??

So there is no certain fix??

Folks thanks for the posts, but from these posts, I see nothing that will help me FIX this problem. When mine behaves badly, it takes 20 minutes to fill the tank. I'd like to hear some sucess stories on actually FIXING this problem. Anyone out there?

Thanks

Thanks

I wrote this post a few months ago and got several suggestions. Just to let you all know the one about putting in the fuel nozzle upside down was right on target. I can now fill my tank on hot days at full speed. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

you know I had this problem when i bought my used svt in 2005. it wasn't so much a temperature thing for me. I went to the ford dealership with the recall and they did it to my surprise. as long as its with in 10 years or 100,000 miles they'll do it. I was close at 89,000 miles.

Back