• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing belt change help

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
So I got the news today that my timing belt idler pullies are shot- which means redoing all the crap, that I don't know how to do. Anyone willing to help between now and New Years? I of course would drive out to wherever, and pay for a case of beer or something.

The symptoms of the car (loud noise from timing belt area, and rough/uneven idle, surging), and the conformation of a mechanic. The car only has 68,000 miles on it. I figure I might as well replace everything now if a few things are bad.

I live in RI, I would be more than happy to help, I have the zetec locking kit which locks the cam and crank.

Cool, that would be greatly appreciated! Where in RI do you live so I can figure out distance?

Newport, ummm not sure how bad that would be... But if you did make the drive for the timing belt, just pick up a Gates belt kit and I will help help you for free. I'm guessing 2-3 hours tops worst case. I've done the job twice.

It's a little under 4 hours. I'm going to take it to my mechanic when I get home probably Monday and see what he says. If he advises to change everything over, then I'll let you know and we can plan a date. Do you think it is worth replaceing the waterpump while we're in there?

It's a little under 4 hours. I'm going to take it to my mechanic when I get home probably Monday and see what he says. If he advises to change everything over, then I'll let you know and we can plan a date. Do you think it is worth replaceing the waterpump while we're in there?

IIRC you should be able to get to your water pump without removing timing covers and belt. I have a 98 with VCT timing, the water pump can be replaced with out timing work.

Matt it was good meeting you! Thankyou for intrusting me with your tour. Glad to hear it was just a loose/not full seated plug wire causing the shake. I was bitting my nails, I was saying to myself "I know that timing is dead on" but wanted it to be perfect before you left. Post the pic of that half a roller!

aww man...did you almost lose a finger again?

glad to hear it got done!!!

JDFTMFW!!

LOL Almost ripped my thumb nail off on a plastic tool box reaching too fast for a tool. Not bad at all, just funny I was thinking, here we go again with the fingas.

Speaking of tools made out pretty good for xmas, new impact gun, a big ryobi drill set 331. Drop light, gloves. And a ASE Prep book.

Merry Xmas Everyone!

Back