• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to find a turbo kit?

drev44

New CEG'er
I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a turbo kit for the CSVT that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I have seen them but i dont want to spend a ton. Maybe someone knows how to put a kit together cheaper than the expensive kits. Let me know with some info

looks like u know about the mainstream kits already. they are really great kits. for the benefits, and in comparison to others, they arent pricey. if u want a cheaper kit, u'd have to make one urself, or post a 'want to buy' ad in the classifieds.

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a turbo kit for the CSVT that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I have seen them but i dont want to spend a ton. Maybe someone knows how to put a kit together cheaper than the expensive kits. Let me know with some info

Might want to try reading the FAQs right above your thread here. Both those questions are answered in the FAQs.

yea ive done somethinking and i figure i will just have to go with a NPG kit. I dont want to do it cheap and end up putting myself in a even bigger whole money wise. Thanks guys

By the time you build your own kit, assuming it works and is reliable, you'll be well over the cost of any of the available options, turbo or supercharger.
Unless you can weld by yourself and get discounts on the hardware and have many weekends to play with it. There have been many people who've built their own, in fact thats how I started and the knowledge I derived from it helped others and allowed us to start nautilusperformance.
Just know that there is no truly cheap solution. Best bang for the buck mod is a 3L conversion and a set of headers.....unless you pay someone to do it, then the best bang for the buck mod is a 2.5L Turbo basic kit.

if i could do it again, i would have just built up my trans with the LSD, and a good clutch like i have, and boosted teh stock 2.5L till it blew, instead of the nitrous shot. it would last longer, cost only about 4500 total (clutch, diff, turbo kit, tune) and make 300 whp on a mediocre boost level (probably 12 lbs)

nautilus turbo kit is the way to go. guys on stock 2.5L's were dynoing 250-275 WHP on the stock 7.5 lb wastegate spring. thats with restrictive exhaust, and some without headers.

Well, if you have welding skills, can find an appropriate turbo in a JY/rebuild it or a new one online, go with an ebay intercooler/bov/wg and fab the whole shebang up yourself you could do the kit itself for under $1,000. However, then you'll need to upgrade the fuel system to support it, make sure not to push the internals of the motor too far, worry about el stocko crap transmission grenading on you etc...

-Fast
-Cheap
-Reliable

You can only choose 2.

edit: If I ever do get a wild hair and decide to do something like this then first I would do a 3L swap with a full forged internal setup, rebuild the trans to handle the HP, upgrade everything and THEN do the turbo. This allows you to go REALLY fast if you want without worrying about blowing up crap stock parts. Too busy with the Cobra right now tho...

if i could do it again, i would have just built up my trans with the LSD, and a good clutch like i have, and boosted teh stock 2.5L till it blew, instead of the nitrous shot. it would last longer, cost only about 4500 total (clutch, diff, turbo kit, tune) and make 300 whp on a mediocre boost level (probably 12 lbs)

nautilus turbo kit is the way to go. guys on stock 2.5L's were dynoing 250-275 WHP on the stock 7.5 lb wastegate spring. thats with restrictive exhaust, and some without headers.

12 PSI is a bit much on a stock motor isnt it?

I run anywhere from 7.5-9 PSI, and thats enough to have a lot of fun. :crazy:

i ran a 125 shot on a stock motor, it can handle some boost. if tuned well.

i think rawburt was running 11 lbs when he sold it, and somewhere around 300 whp. he'd have to chime in to be sure. his car had over 130k when he sold it, :)

12 PSI is a bit much on a stock motor isnt it?

I run anywhere from 7.5-9 PSI, and thats enough to have a lot of fun. :crazy:

I believe as it was discussed befoer the stock 2.5L can be run up towards 12 psi. a 3L can go towards 14 psi. most run 8 lbs.

Both use the same rods and the 2.5L pistons being a smaller diameter with all other dimensions the same as a 3L, I don't seen any difference in the boost potential of both.

My experience:

12psi is reliable for both engines. 14psi is probably okay in a 2.5L because it nets less power than 14psi in a 3L and the rods are subjected to less pressure, all else being equal.
14-15psi on a 3L seems to have broken a few parts on some engines and lasted on others so my guess is that is the 'confidence limit' on stock parts for me. Besides, 14psi will make you 375-400wHP depending on exhaust setup, throttlebody/intake/intercooler choices, and the fuel/tuning solution you use.

No way can you use much over 320-340wHP in this car until you hit 4th gear! lol

I still wonder how much the stock trans can take. Like behind 320whp how long would the stock diff last? I can't imagine it would hold up very well...

I still wonder how much the stock trans can take. Like behind 320whp how long would the stock diff last? I can't imagine it would hold up very well...

Its all in how you drive it. If you dont "launch" the car, then it should be fine. Ive got a stock tranny and diff in my car and it has held up fine.

Back