• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well, I Blew it up.

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
As the title states I thoroughly f'ed my motor sunday evening. Not sure at this point what exactly went wrong and/or broke. I was running 8psi, did a couple of sprints, from a roll, and about 30 mins later...tick tick tick clatter SMACK engine died. Was barely able to coast it off the exit to a parking lot. It was bleeding a nice mix of oil and coolant.

The whole time AFR was golden, didnt hear a lick of detonation either...my only thought at this point is oil starvation, but I do run it full and with the oil filter relocation kit that adds almost an additional qt. We shall see when I get it torn apart in Jan.

All I can say is I would like to NEVER hear a motor make that sound again, EVER.

Looks like I will have a 3L for SZ07....havent made up my mind if the turbo will return or just go N/A with the 3L. Seeing as there are two kits in the classifieds I doubt there is much additional interest in another turbo kit...but as they say if the price is right my turbo vs N/A decision could be made very easily.

Worst part of this whole story, I now have to roll around in a 01 Civic.

Eww... You think thats bad? I went from driving my 3L 00 to a 97 Buick LeSaber.. Uck, I cant even describe what the changover was like..

Sorry to hear abut the motosplosion... Hopefully the 3L will go smoothly, I think a turbo 3L may cause more problems for what it is worth.

Sorry to hear this. Get it back on the road better than ever.

Worst part of this whole story, I now have to roll around in a 01 Civic.

It could be worse.

Try going from an SVT with numerous suspension and engine mods to a 90 festiva with blown struts, 63 HP at the flywheel and a slipping clutch in anything above third gear.......

Almost as bad as going from a fully modded 3L SVT w/ suspension, bolt-ons, and all the goodies, to a TEAL 93 Sunbird. Need I say more? :laugh: No complaints with the '01 LS. :cool:

If you still like the car, I'd keep the turbo. Like you said, you'll end up losing a lot of money if you sell it. With as cheap as a 3L engine is, just stick with the turbo and up the boost a little if you've got the T-28 kit.

But who am I, I'm considering the sale of my SVT.

Mark

Adam, I just spoke with Scott last night and he asked me how your turbo endeavors were going...:blackeye:

If I was in your position, (real job +fine woman) I would just assume keep the turbo and do the 3L with bigger turbo! :shocked::eek:

Stazi and I took his running 2.5L non-intercooled turbo and turned it into a front mount intercooled, gt35r, 3L monster in a matter of a week! :shocked:

:drool:

Oh and when my 2.5L died, I drove a 92 Buick Lesabre that was rusted to hell and back!

You know what to do!
bigok.gif

Its not so much the condition of the Civic, but the fact that its a civic....the guys at work LOVE it!!! Anyway...i hope to get the thing rebuilt by the end of Feb. Its currently in a garage in Kzoo awaiting teardown...gonna be a real PITA for me to drive 2.5 hrs each way for a bunch of weekends.

I still havent decided if I will keep it turbo'd or not...I am a bit gun shy now about doing such an involved project only to keep such high CR...now i know i could lower it with different pistons but that really increases costs. I have a little thinking to do.

Anyone that wants to lend a hand in the 3L swap drop me phone numbers in PM...it will take place over various weekend in Jan/Feb...hopefully not March. Oh, and work will be done in a heated garage in Kzoo. Anyone that just wants to watch/learn/pass wrenches is welcome too.

Anyone selling a suitable sized turbo for a 3L for a good price could help me make that decision too.

Its not so much the condition of the Civic, but the fact that its a civic....the guys at work LOVE it!!! Anyway...i hope to get the thing rebuilt by the end of Feb. Its currently in a garage in Kzoo awaiting teardown...gonna be a real PITA for me to drive 2.5 hrs each way for a bunch of weekends.

I still havent decided if I will keep it turbo'd or not...I am a bit gun shy now about doing such an involved project only to keep such high CR...now i know i could lower it with different pistons but that really increases costs. I have a little thinking to do.

Anyone that wants to lend a hand in the 3L swap drop me phone numbers in PM...it will take place over various weekend in Jan/Feb...hopefully not March. Oh, and work will be done in a heated garage in Kzoo. Anyone that just wants to watch/learn/pass wrenches is welcome too.

Anyone selling a suitable sized turbo for a 3L for a good price could help me make that decision too.

Before you become gun-shy about it, find out what actually killed the engine first. If a bearing went and you blew a rod that doesn't mean that it was the boost that did it. Putting in a new block with high quality bearings ought to fix it.

how much for the ADC kit? tehehehe

Thats uncalled for, especially since you yourself are playing around with an unproven and potentially problematic setup. How are you going to feel when someone makes that sort of comment when you break something?? Note, I didn't say "if" because we all break something sooner or later.

-Mark

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still interested in helping..... I have saturday, sunday and monday off every week. I'll PM you my cell number.

mike

um,, i was actually serious about the kit. right now, where my project goes is up in the air....either way, bolt on's and a 100 shot are not enough yet.

and my setup, problematic? naaaah (rofl who am i kidding?)

Sorry man it just came off as being a snide comment and being one of the local mods I felt it nessessary to comment. If i took it in error I apologize.

-Mark

haha, no big deal. honestly though, i just need to decide what i want.....haha. either way i cant sell this supercharger until it works, due to a guilty conscience.....haha

Take some clearance measurements, maybe w/ some modification to the mount and a custom intake/filter you maybe be able to fit a Vortech or Procharger unit in its place. That'll solve a lot of your reliability problems. Anyway, I think we've hi-jacked this thread enough... back on topic. TRicker, start a new thread if you want to discuss mod options to your setup, I'm sure there a lot of good ideas some of us old timers can come up with.

-Mark

well....um. no. you cant. you'd need to make a whole new bracket, and buy a 1600$ head unit. you'd have to throw the whole kit in the trash..... or sell it. thats what blackcoog is workin on now. this bracket i have will definately not work, but blackcoog will be having vortech's on many contours soon mark my words.....ive seen it on his car, in person, mounted where the TK mounts!.

Back