• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

I was going to buy one of those kits when I was getting my trans built because I had to get all new gears anyways. The only thing is those kits are so expensive and loud I hear. Gotta love straight cut gears...that dogbox one looks freakin awesome though.

I was going to buy one of those kits when I was getting my trans built because I had to get all new gears anyways. The only thing is those kits are so expensive and loud I hear. Gotta love straight cut gears...that dogbox one looks freakin awesome though.
thats why i linked to the syncromesh gearset. its much cheaper than the dog box set and its got helical cut gears, like stock, so its much quieter.

True, are these also the Capaldi (sp) gear sets? When I talked to Liberty Gears they said that he had a complete gear set, not just a final drive.

While that Quaife gearset is probably stronger than the stock gears, I wouldn't go as far as to say that would be good for drag racing. First gear is certainly better, but after that its pretty close to the stock ratios and the gearing is closer together.

Looks like the cost has gone down though. That gearset used to be about $6K about 5-6 years ago.

While that Quaife gearset is probably stronger than the stock gears, I wouldn't go as far as to say that would be good for drag racing. First gear is certainly better, but after that its pretty close to the stock ratios and the gearing is closer together.

Looks like the cost has gone down though. That gearset used to be about $6K about 5-6 years ago.
yes but you also get your choice of final drive ratio so you could get the lowest one which would help out tremendously. I had actually gone through and figured out which combination of gears would be best suited for an all around car, street, strip, and track. i dont remember the exact combination off hand though and i never saved it.

yes but you also get your choice of final drive ratio so you could get the lowest one which would help out tremendously. I had actually gone through and figured out which combination of gears would be best suited for an all around car, street, strip, and track. i dont remember the exact combination off hand though and i never saved it.

shame on u:nonono:;). that info would certainly have been helpful.

shame on u:nonono:;). that info would certainly have been helpful.
im not positive but i believe it was to use 1st-4th from the quaife gearset, stock 5th gear, and the Zetec FD. this gives you the following values:

MPH 25---35---45---55---65---70----75---80---90---100--120
1st 3100 4400 5600 6900 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2nd 2300 3300 4200 5100 6000 6500 7000 - - - - - - - - - - -
3rd 1800 2500 3200 3900 4600 5000 5400 5700 6500 7100 - -
4th 1400 2000 2600 3200 3700 4000 4300 4600 5200 5800 6900
5th 1000 1400 1800 2200 2600 2800 3000 3200 3500 3900 4700
these are all approximations using the stock 215/55/16 size SVT tire.

this lets you really use those upper RPMs that Duratec loves to run in but still allows for a decent cruising speed on the highway. for the strip this lets you basically start out in the old second gear. for a turbo Duratec this would be a good thing since it would mean less torque multiplication and thus, hopefully, more traction.

I meant with that gear set. You cant change gears and expect your engine to keep turning to higher RPMs as easily as it does in a lower ratio set.

well no, but seeing as they were talking about turbo Duratecs, which make a lot of power, that gearset is more than reasonable. i honestly think it would be reasonable in just a 3L, a stock SVT would be pushing it though. also, because you can hold each gear for longer, means that the RPMs dont have to climb as fast as before to get the same acceleration out of it.

even in stock trim the SVT will start from a stop in 2nd gear just fine.

yeah i day at a stop sign, I left my SVT in 2nd gear, forgot to to go into 1st, so i took off, it it still seemed to pull off idle in 2nd gear from a stop, with no effort

yeah, its basically like moving 3rd up a bit, starting off and 2nd and having a gear between them. I made this last night comparing the stock SVT setup to the Quaife setup (1st, 2nd, 3rd, from quiafe, 4th and 5th stock gears, Zetec FD)

gearset.jpg

A close ratio gearset is not ideal for our turbo cars. Been there done that. Its certainly no good for a drag car. You would be shifting to 4th gear before the end of the track, no good. You want taller gears so you can wind it out and less shifting. Also these gearsets are bette when matched with a higher rpm cam/valve spring setup. I.e. 8k rpm plus. Thats were they shine!

About the best you could do with that quaife gearset is use the 1st gear and the lowest final drive they offer. I don't know if its possible to mix and match gears like that. I'm not a gearbox guru. Of course, you still have to deal with traction in 2nd and 3rd gear (maybe 4th gear depending on power and powertrain setup) since the rest of the quaife gears are not really much of an improvement over stock.

Don't get me wrong, it will certainly help, but I don't think its enough to put someone into the 12s. Throwing in a quaife gearset is not going to magically put 350-400 whp to the ground. :laugh:

A close ratio gearset is not ideal for our turbo cars. Been there done that. Its certainly no good for a drag car. You would be shifting to 4th gear before the end of the track, no good. You want taller gears so you can wind it out and less shifting. Also these gearsets are bette when matched with a higher rpm cam/valve spring setup. I.e. 8k rpm plus. Thats were they shine!

I'm not sure why they call it a close ratio gearset, with the execption of 4th and 5th, all the gears are taller. That's why I said to use the stock 4th and 5th gears.

About the best you could do with that quaife gearset is use the 1st gear and the lowest final drive they offer. I don't know if its possible to mix and match gears like that. I'm not a gearbox guru. Of course, you still have to deal with traction in 2nd and 3rd gear (maybe 4th gear depending on power and powertrain setup) since the rest of the quaife gears are not really much of an improvement over stock.

Don't get me wrong, it will certainly help, but I don't think its enough to put someone into the 12s. Throwing in a quaife gearset is not going to magically put 350-400 whp to the ground. :laugh:

You can't use the Quaife 1st and the stock 2nd as you would have to skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd. Look at the chart I posted, the Quaife 1st is almost identical to the stock 2nd. This is why I said to use the Quaife 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears and use the stock 4th and 5th gears. There should be no problems doing this as the Quaife gearset is designed to go on the stock shafts.

Never said that it would solve the problems, just that it would most definitely help.

Assuming you could get Quaife to make the stock ratios, as I believe the shafts a different, no using stock gears with a quaife set. Would be silly anyway. The gears and shafts come together and I believe are keyed.

Assuming you could get Quaife to make the stock ratios, as I believe the shafts a different, no using stock gears with a quaife set. Would be silly anyway. The gears and shafts come together and I believe are keyed.
looking at the technical drawing for the Quaife set, i bet the shafts are the same as stock shafts. aside from being assembled the same way, there is no reason to make them any different than stock. the input shaft splines have to be the same as do the ends for the bearings. they probably are keyed, since the stock shafts are. of course, the only way to know for sure if you could fit the stock 4th and 5th gears would be to either contact Quaife and ask or to buy the gearset and try it.

why do you think it would be silly to use the stock 4th and 5th gears? maybe the stock 4th since it is so close to Quaife 4th, but the Quaife 5th would make you run 3700RPMs at 75MPH, not good for cruising. not to mention you would only drop 1000RPMs when shifting from 4th to 5th.

You would be shifting to 4th gear before the end of the track, no good. You want taller gears so you can wind it out and less shifting.

That's what I was thinking. You want to be winding it out in the last gear as you cross the line, not just getting started in 4th (like with our stock gears).

Back