• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Door Not fully closing?

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
My driver door is not fully closing and now the corners of the door are beginning to lose paint from the tire spray... All of my other doors latch well, they have a nice solid thwack (for lack of a better term..). My driver door, however, seems to latch weakly and slightly crack back open. Some people even comment that my door is still a jar.. When I hit bumps I can hear the door moving a bit but it seems to be sealed since I dont get rain inside the car. I noticed that the little bar that the door latches to is a bit worn but it looks like the other sides. I am suspecting the latch but I dont want to spend the money until I have a second opinion. Has anyone else had this problem? 1995 SE The car hasn't been in any accidents to my knowledge.

Door needs to be realigned or you need a new latch which is easy to swap. Remove door panel, undo 3 screws at the latch and the 2 bolts holding the handle. Push the 2 tabs holding the handle to the latch mechanism. If paint is missing I'm guessing the door has sagged over time and needs to be readjusted.

Try lifting up on the door when it is open if there is slack in it you need new hinge pins and bushings you may be able to get them at your auto parts store in the help section.

My 2000 SVT needs hinge pins on the drivers door it hits the plastic on the striker bolt and you can feel the slop in the pins....

Good luck. I'm betting this over the latch adjustment

Back