• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Chain Gone?

pittass

New CEG'er
Hello guys, I have a 1996 Countour GL, with the 2.5L V6. I have about 107k miles, (171k km's) on the car now. Just had it in for a new starter, and when I go get the car I am told the 'Timing Belt' is gone. After looking through here and a few sites as well as calling Ford, I find out it has chain, and not a belt at all.

What are the chances of this just giving out while in the shop? Any other ideas what this may be? Something is definately off. Anything they may have messed with accidentally? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

First of all, what's wrong with the car? Did they just randomly say the timing "belt" is gone? What is the car doing for them to say it's shot?

I haven't really had a chance to check it out to be honest. The mechanic said after they got the starter installed, they went to back it out of the shop and it just died. He says it's "jumping it's timing." I'm no expert, but it seems odd to me. Posted this here hoping someone with the 2.5L may have had a similar problem.

Thanks
Paul

.... The mechanic said after they got the starter installed, they went to back it out of the shop and it just died. He says it's "jumping it's timing." I'm no expert, but it seems odd to me....

Yes, it is odd. And don't let them do any "investigative (and elective) surgery". If the car died again, because it is "jumping it's timing", there should be some CEL codes. Ask them how they determined that the car was jumping its timing? You probably need to pay for the starter (if they did install a new or rebuilt one. Then if it doesn't start, get it towed to another shop.

Timing chain failure on that engine would be a very rare event.

Something that is reasonably common on that engine is flooded cylinder walls causing the engine to not have compression and allowing the engine to crank very rapidly, similar to when a timing chain or belt fails.

This usually happens when a cold engine is started and runs only a moment before shutting off. When you return it won't start and cranks very fast.

Usually the cure is to hold the throttle wide open while you crank. That turns off the injectors. As the excess fuel is pushed out, compression come back and the engine starts.

In extreme cases it helps to pull the front three spark plugs and add about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder. The oil will restore compression in those three cylinders. You will still want to crank with the throttle wide open. When it starts it will be rough for a moment until the rear three cylinders clear out and start firing. It will smoke a lot for a moment too.

We usually get a few complaints about this when the weather starts to get cold.

Just pay the starter and get out of that shop, maybe they just want to make some money from nothing.

Big Jim has a very good suggestion, it works great:cool:

ask for your old starter too...... this sounds like a typical rip off shop. Either fix it your self or get it towed to another shop. Find out what is really going on and don't forget to post the name of the rip off joint so no one else gets sucked in.

my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info. Big Jim. I'll certainly have to give that a try. I will be towing it from that shop for sure, as this isn't my usual mechanic. It's right next to my office, hence the reason for going there. I don't think they are trying to rip me off, I just think the guy is cluless as to what's really going on. I know I have very little gas in the tank as well, and the temp has dropped dramatically since I dropped it off there 2 weeks ago!!!!!

As for posting their names, I won't bother as they generally have treated me well in the past. Thanks guys.

Paul

jumping timing

jumping timing

Hi there, I have had a similar problem before with my v6. It wasn't the timing chain(s) itself, but the timing chain self adjusters which control the tension against the chains on the sprockets. One of my adjusters went bad and caused the front chain to skip a few teeth on the cam sprocket (evident upon removing the front valve cover, timing marks didn't line up). I believe that was discovered to be a early 1995 flaw in that design and supposedly rectified in the 96 models and up. If you can do the work yourself and take apart the upper end (UIM, and valve cover) you should be able to inspect at least one chain. Just my two cents. Good luck!!

Well I went to the shop to pick up the car, and decided to try Big Jim's advice, and sure enough the car started after 2 or 3 minutes of cranking. She's been running great ever since. Thanks guys for saving me $500 at least!!!!

Pitts

Back