• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Bad Paint

When I read through the original owner's posts, I found out the entire car was repainted under warranty for the spider stuff.

Paint still looks good (except the front, rock chips galore), but he did a pre-98 swap after the dealer painted it, so the trunk has original 96 black paint that's spidered to hell.

Oh, and the driver side skirt is T-Red disguised with spray-paint black... it's horrible.

I bought my first SVT new. It was black and had large paint blobs on the hood and on the drivers door (Should have done a better inspection of the car). After arguing with Ford about the problem they repainted the hood and drivers side doors. Even after a repaint the hood was still not acceptable and they repainted it AGAIN.

A couple of years later I decided to pull the door strips for a cleaner look and discovered that when they repainted the doors they had not pulled those strips and had taped around them.:mad: :mad: :mad: That left a noticable paint height difference where the strips were removed.

Again after arguing with Ford about their shoddy paint process they agreed to repaint the doors.

My current SVT's paint is in great shape. I wanted a Silver one to begin with anyway.

Yep, not just SVTs, my SE looks like total crap. The hood is pitted and spider cracks galore. The roof and trunk are in bad shape as well. I bought the car used so I really made them knock down the price b/c of the paint imperfections.

Why can't all our black tours' paint look like outlwd's??? :drool: x10

Not only black but dark Satin Green too. My paint cracked two after two years. Ford wouldn’t fix the problem because I had 39k miles and out of warrantee. I think most of the cars came from the Kansas City plant.

I still have my mystique with 130k miles but it is car #3 and the last Ford I’ll buy (not because I think the car was so bad, but because of Fords customer service and attitude). I have purchased a new Subaru and a new Acura since Ford refused to fix their paint mistake.

jeff

my paint looks like it has lilttle pieces of hair rubbed into it, i'm not too bothered about how poopy the paint looks, its going to be redone, when.... im not sure yet

Not only black but dark Satin Green too. My paint cracked two after two years. Ford wouldn’t fix the problem because I had 39k miles and out of warrantee. I think most of the cars came from the Kansas City plant.
That's probably one of the reasons. Mine came from there, and the Silver Frost had all kinds of defects. Mostly fish-eye spots all over the car. The paint hasn't cracked or spidered, except on the front bumper. Started flaking off there. It was still under warranty at the time, so it was fixed. Luckily our dealer has no body shop, so it was sent to the best place in town. No problems with the bumper re-paint.

tony knows what mine looks like.. didn't you say that yours looked somewhat as bad as mine then you buffed the hell out of it.. and used that zaino of what ever it is?

What sucks about getting a repaint though is the paint and clearcoat has to be stripped down to bare metal in order to do a good job. If your car is or has been repainted without the paint/clearcoat being stripped completely the cracks will reappear over time.

Back