• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why No Spark?

LocoLobo

CEG'er
ok, so i can't figure out why i don't have any spark. i've replaced the coil pack and pcm but i still don't have any spark at all. is it possible that i have six bad plug wires? are there any other sensors that are in that circuit that could mess it up? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! i've been trying to find the problem for the past several months and i really need to get the car running...

did you check the contacts the plug that plugs into the coil pack? are they cheapo wires from murrays or autozone?

^^ they seem secure, i've checked them several times.

^ the four wires that go to the coil pack were bear and twisted together and shorted out the pcm's fuses... i didn't want to say anything because everytime i say something people are like i have no idea... and i was hoping to just get generic answers for this problem that maybe i've missed. and i know that the pcm powers the coil and didn't know if all the wires twisted up would fry it so i sucked it up whenever i couldn't think of anything else it could be and replaced it with a "theoritically" a good used one.

ok, so my dad went out to the car with me the other day and he tested it with the voltmeter and we found out that there isn't any pulse going to the coil to tell it when to fire, but it does have power going to it on the fourth pin.

so my question comes to, does it matter where the ground for the coil goes to? and i've already replaced the ecm with one that supposedly was good, is there anything else that could be bad that would be preventing it from getting fire?

does anybody know where i can get a wiring diagram for a 98 csvt (build date 97)? i bought one of todras' ford manual on cd which proved to be pointless considering it had an empty folder(which i presume was making it not work) and he wasn't willing to work with me to get through it, so that wouldn't be an option.

Have you checked the timing belt? I had an issue like this on a 626 that I had. The timing belt was broke and the cams weren't turning.

i thought that could be the problem, but i check it with the volt meter and it had continuity... could it still be bad?
Mine checked out in every way, but it was bad never the less. I picked up one at Autozone for $17.99. It fixed the problem immediately. Before this, I spent $75.00 for a new coil pack that turned out to be a waste of money.

JC316 refers to a timing belt, but you probably know your csvt has timing chains.

Mine checked out in every way, but it was bad never the less. I picked up one at Autozone for $17.99. It fixed the problem immediately. Before this, I spent $75.00 for a new coil pack that turned out to be a waste of money.

JC316 refers to a timing belt, but you probably know your csvt has timing chains.

Sorry, belt, chain, whatever. Make sure that it's turning and not broke. Chains are less likely, but they still break sometimes, plus it's REALLY easy to check it before throwing money at the car.

yeah, i know it has chains, they're brand new and in time... i've already checked it and i've torn the front of the engine down 3 times. i've got a spare crank position sensor around here somewhere, i'll find it and give that a try. (it should work it was off of a 2.5 w/ a spun bearing).

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts

just an update, i've now got spark... some of the insulation from the crank position sensor came off and was shorting itself. i'm charging the battery and will find out tomorrow what my next step will be.

Back