• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

WR Y+Flex+Trubendz Test w/ hi-flow cat VS.Trubendz Y w/ hi-flow cat

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
I have the WR headers and am wondering which combination is better for flow and performance???

Option 1: Weapon R Y-pipe + Flex pipe + Trubendz Test pipe w/ hi-flow cat

OR

Option 2: Trubendz Y pipe w/ hi-flow cat. This option has all the above parts in one (the Y, the flex, and the test w/ hi-flow cat)
38_1_b.jpg

What I gather is that the WR Y-pipe has alot of bends and IIRC it is 2.25 inch diameter and then opens to 2.5 at the end...where as it looks like Option 2 is alot straighter flowing and is 2.5 inch dia. from the Y which to me looks like a better option.

Just looking for some feedback.

i would go with the WR y-pipe because i have heard that people have lost TQ without the bend on the rear bank. make sense to me

I think the MSDS y-pipe is best out of all if my memory serves me right.Correct me if I'm wrong though.

ON a side note when you put on a msds y pipe doe you need the flex pipe?

I think the MSDS y-pipe is best out of all if my memory serves me right.Correct me if I'm wrong though.

ON a side note when you put on a msds y pipe doe you need the flex pipe?

yes you need the flex pipe. it takes the stress off your exhaust from the motor moving around

I have always heard that the an optimized stock y-pipe was the best option to run ... but I don't think that there are any dyno plots to prove that ... best I have is adding one to my SE with SVT main cat and exhaust and it made power ...

Having both the msds and the BAT y-pipe. similair to the trubendz.

The truebendz is by far the better option. I had the bat first on my car. and man it moved. I replaced it withteh msds after everyone recomending it. Saying i lose gas mileage and tq. It was all bs. I lost more tq with msds and my gas mileage went down.

Worst idea.... Now i am pissed i sold my bat pipe.

Get the trubendz with no cat. The cat hardly makes the differnce and the cat material falls apart after 1 year so it's worthless to begin with. See i had the cat on my bat pipe. It fell apart. So i punched it out and put it back on my car. I was so shocked after the install. MY down low tq increased. It gained sooo much more low end tq from doing that.

Then after putting headers on. I got rid of the bat pipe and went with the msds y-pipe. WORST DECISION I EVER MADE!!!!!

Harry so your saying that the msds y-pipe is no good?do you have any dyno plots to bake up this theory of you losing torque?I just don't understand I have read several threads in the old forums where the msds was pretty good maybe not the best but not"the worst decision I ever made" worthy.Can anybody else chime in on this?I'm asking because I am about to buy a msds y-pipe and maybe I shouldn't now?

Where can you buy a flex pipe?

I've read in older posts that the BAT y-pipe (and similar styles) make the most hp when paired with the MSDS headers if you have a tuned chip...go figure.

I kept my BAT y-pipe when I got my MSDS simply for that reason. Been happy so far and the car makes good power.

Harry so your saying that the msds y-pipe is no good?do you have any dyno plots to bake up this theory of you losing torque?I just don't understand I have read several threads in the old forums where the msds was pretty good maybe not the best but not"the worst decision I ever made" worthy.Can anybody else chime in on this?I'm asking because I am about to buy a msds y-pipe and maybe I shouldn't now?

Where can you buy a flex pipe?

No i didn't waste 2 dynos trying to do a dyno back to back and spend 150 total. I was buying other stuff wile doing this lol.

Look i am telling you this and i wish others have told me this. The msds flows better than the stock. it's been proven.

IN all honesty i def got better gas mileage having the bat pipe on with no cat. Seriously do what you want man. This has been discussed a thousand times about all differnt pipes. Remember most people go the msds route instead of the bat/trubendz pipes. So you won't see many threads on those 2 downpipes.

Hell let me order a down-pipe and i'll sell you my msds y-pipe.

See i went the bat pipe route first with cat. I gained some power but my low end was suffering. It wasn't till i took out the honeycomb cat material. That i gained more low end. After some time, i got my msds headers with y-pipe. So i sold the bat down pipe and isntalled the msds y-pipe. Guess what. Gas mileage stock form 280 per tank.Bat pipe i got 320 per tank. Msds 280 per tank. Msds i lost topend and the low end was about the same maybe alittle less. Overall i regret doing this.

Last edited:
Well I have no cat(trubendz testpipe) so I will be running no cat with the msds y-pipe.Thanxs for answer my ?'s harry I'm not tryin to argue with you hear just trying to see what the best setup is.As far as selling your msds send me a pm and tell me what you want for it because I'm in the process of purchasing one but if you can give me a better deal I might buy it from you.I would get the trubendz y-pipe but 300some dollars I can't afford that right now,but a good deal came up in the classefieds for the msds so I jumped on it,now i'm just wondering if I should really buy it,if you telling me its not going to give me the best output.

This thread is to discus which of these two options is better when using WR headers (MSDS copies):

OR

Option 2: Trubendz Y pipe w/ hi-flow cat. This option has all the above parts in one (the Y, the flex, and the test w/ hi-flow cat)

If you want to talk about other options START YOUR OWN THREAD!

Sorry about the threadjacking,but why start another thread on basically the same topic?Your ? was answer option #2 would be the better one.All I did was take it a step farther and ask the difference between the trubendz and the MSDS.Thats all no harm SO CALM DOWN! thanxs

i would go with the WR y-pipe because i have heard that people have lost TQ without the bend on the rear bank. make sense to me

Having both the msds and the BAT y-pipe. similair to the trubendz.

The truebendz is by far the better option.

So far both options have been stated as to which one is better. I would like to keep this thread clean so more experienced answers can be added to get a correct consensus.

Good! I would love to get some more ppl to answer also.Like I said i'm about to purchase a y-pipe and I want to know which one performs the best.

This thread is to discus which of these two options is better when using WR headers (MSDS copies):

OR

If you want to talk about other options START YOUR OWN THREAD!

My question is, why do you need a high flow cat added, emissions i bet(sorry i forget, here in michigan we don't have yearly testings anymore)? Go with option 2

Is your car currently a 3 bolt system? If not you would have to spend more in the long run. Just get the trubendz and save your self the hassel and time of installing everything.

Also the trubendz flows more. Just look at the pics.

I would recomend a trubendz with NO cat!!!

My question is, why do you need a high flow cat added, emissions i bet(sorry i forget, here in michigan we don't have yearly testings anymore)? Go with option 2

Is your car currently a 3 bolt system? If not you would have to spend more in the long run. Just get the trubendz and save your self the hassel and time of installing everything.

MSDS+no cat+trubendz=sounds like ****ing **** and very very loud=tickets

Last edited:

Yes, looking at pictures is the best way to tell what flows better. The WR y-pipe removed the nasty v bend that the MSDS pipe had, so using the MSDS pipe for comparison is pointless. I seriously doubt there's going to be more than a couple HP difference between either option. You're certainly not going to feel the difference. Both pipes are stainless and IIRC , the same size. The WR option would probably be cheaper. The TB would probably be a little easier to install since its one piece.

Exactly! We in PA have yearly inspection w/ emissions testing. Sucks I know. So I have to have a hi-flow cat.

The WR option would probably be cheaper. The TB would probably be a little easier to install since its one piece.

Thats to say he has already the 3 bolt setup.If he does this will be cheap to install. But if he doesn;t he will have to purchase the 2 other tiems to finsh what he wants.

I agree wr did take that nasty v-bend out.

Have fun trying to get anything other than the W-R Y pipe to bolt up to the W-R headers!

I put on W-R headers, and have essentially the same thing as that Trubendz down pipe setup (minus the cat, and dual flex pipes) that was made for the stock manifolds and dual exhaust.

Well, bank 2 side bolted up fairly well, but uhh... bank 1... not so much. I had to wrestle the hell out of it to get it to line up and get rid of any leaks.

Problem is, the W-R bank 1 comes down at a different angle than any other Contour thing. Seems like one thing they didn't quite copy over from MSDS

Back