• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSDS Headers form NPG?

SVTalex

Veteran CEG'er
ok my headers came in today!! I opted for there ceramic base coating, now is that the gray paint they put over it?

Nope it if was just paint they'd have a lot of angry folks who would hate the smell the first time that exhaust gets hot.

that stuff will cook down at first on your header and have a slightly smoother finish after a while. Its a good coating, daily driven through a South dakota winter with plenty of snow salt and sand and not a hint of rust last weekend when I took it off.

well I live in NJ, so It will not see as much snow as ur car, and plus my Daily driver is my Explorer, so I don't drive the SVT much in the winter, except on very nice days for winter

that stuff will cook down at first on your header and have a slightly smoother finish after a while. Its a good coating, daily driven through a South dakota winter with plenty of snow salt and sand and not a hint of rust last weekend when I took it off.

They have the standard msds coating. And then the EXTREME COating that costed extra.....well....since i live in michigan and well it gets really nasty here.. 1 year with the EXTREME (i paid extra) to have it double coated...my y-pipe had surface rust in 1 year :nonono: MY header down low started rusting.:blackeye: Once it hit 2 years....the y-pipe was rusting....so i took it off. THe front header was recoated with POR material. So no rust so far :)

They said send them back and they would recoat everything for free....but shipping there and back ($60) was not worth it.

I would advise using another durable longer lasting temperatured paint material. Get them jet hot coated....I would never ever recommend the coating msds offers. :nonono:

he already got a coated one. That sucks what happened with yours, guess I got lucky huh? Winters here are nasty too, so yeah, plus a lot of my driving is on highway and sometimes gravel roads.

Jet Hot's coating is nice, pricey too, but worth it.

Nitro Plate is where its at. About half the price of Jet-hot, does the exact same thing. I've posted pictures of what my headers looked like after I got them coated, I'm also going to have them coat all of the turbo piping on my car.

he already got a coated one. That sucks what happened with yours, guess I got lucky huh? Winters here are nasty too, so yeah, plus a lot of my driving is on highway and sometimes gravel roads.

Jet Hot's coating is nice, pricey too, but worth it.

I'm surprised yours aren't bad. Give it another winter...and please let me know if the rust has started. I hope not for your sake...nobody wants rusted headers....:mad:

POR coating has held up longer and still shows no sign of wear what so ever due to the cold weather. 3 years and counting :)

As of the coating being like jet hot coating...i heard it is similair in its properties...but a knock off version.:shrug:

Of all the headers or parts done by them....all there stuff have rusted due to the cars being exposes to salt/winter over the years.

I don't gain anything from sharing this information...its just what i have seen/told :shrug:. So i just would rather see people just save money and try an alternative route.

90% of my headers are pefect after two Minnesota Winters - but this is my problem area... I also paid extra for the Xtreme coating... :nonono:

90% of my headers are pefect after two Minnesota Winters - but this is my problem area... I also paid extra for the Xtreme coating... :nonono:

Mine was a bit worse....but regardless how much rust is being created....there should be no rust!!:blackeye:

Maybe i'm being picky:shrug: but i'm pretty sure i paid for this coating so my parts wouldn't rust after 3 months of winter:blackeye:

High temp spray paint would have costed me a hell of a lot less then my double extreme coating...and would have done the same job IMHO:shrug:

Mine was a bit worse....but regardless how much rust is being created....there should be no rust!!:blackeye:

Maybe i'm being picky:shrug: but i'm pretty sure i paid for this coating so my parts wouldn't rust after 3 months of winter:blackeye:

High temp spray paint would have costed me a hell of a lot less then my double extreme coating...and would have done the same job IMHO:shrug:

My thoughts as well... if I'm picky enough I *MAY* be able to clean the metal and spray it on the car, but that would suck and I'd have to be up on a hoist to do that...

Well I'm getting the MSDS headers and will probably get them from NPG. This is a little disturbing though about their coating rusting out. I live in NJ and my aftermarket non coated exhaust is still holding up fine. I shoot the undercarriage down with soapy water every week though. I'm thinking I'll just have MSDS do the $50 coating so they aren't bare metal and go from there.

Then again, I painted the longtubes on my Cobra with basic high temp "ceramic" spray paint and once the smoke cleared they were fine lol. They still look decent after a year too.

IMO I would also recommend getting just the plain headers and getting them coated elsewhere as Harry suggested.

Back