• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

??? Question about alt. wire fix ???

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
I am in the process of doing the "goldentour" wiring fix for the alternator. In the how to it says to cut the red wire out of the harness and connect it to the main power of the alternator. Well I'm looking at the harness with the three wires and I'm not seeing a red wire. There is a green with a black stripe, grey, and orange. Which one to I cut and extend to the main power wire? I need this as soon as possible... Thanks

Maybe you should have taken it to a professional since you obviously can't grasp what your doing. Wiring colors do not matter!

Do you know how to use a multi meter? if not then i suggest you learn quickly

I am in the process of doing the "goldentour" wiring fix for the alternator. In the how to it says to cut the red wire out of the harness and connect it to the main power of the alternator. Well I'm looking at the harness with the three wires and I'm not seeing a red wire. There is a green with a black stripe, grey, and orange. Which one to I cut and extend to the main power wire? I need this as soon as possible... Thanks
Based on process of comparison, snip the 1999 orange (1996 thin red) wire and extend the 1999 orange wire from regulator to the connection at the big thick Red 1996 (or 1999 Black) main power line (this is the power line which goes to the megafuse-maxifuse). Don't forget to disconnect the battery before doing anything. :D

Edit. Note that this was supposed to have been taken care of for the 1999 model year. A TSB was supposedly issued prior to October 1998 when I sent in my Contour for a flickering alternator issue. However, Goldentour has a 2000 model and had to deal with it with this flickering light issue.

Last edited:
Your a life saver Tony! I love you!
Er..... I don't know how to reply to that.

Eh, what the hey, I love you too (agape love that is; check for ancient Greeceor Biblical translation) :laugh: .

Back