• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my weekend plans

FIND

Addicted CEG'er
I didnt get pics of the wheels cause I already put them on, and well, everyone knows what e0 wheels look like. I also forgot to get my new injectors, but they are sitting in my glovebox so no big deal. Anyways, all this plus a little bit of paint to cover my intake pipes and maybe I will do some other engine parts.

32493080013_large.jpg

not the headlight, the fuel door, already have my old one off.

32493080014_large.jpg

quaife, new pioneer HU speakers and amps, tune courtesy of nautilus, samco hose kit, replacement coil (mine is toast), headlight bulbs, and last but not least, a big green strut bar.

All that along with the injectors, I gotta take off my headers and put them back on, maybe get them to stop leaking, and I figure while everything is off, clean my UIM, LIM, IACV, and TB.

Well, enough to keep me busy for a little while this weekend.

Added a spice rack for Pole

LOL should keep you busy for a little while!

I'm in the middle of my header install, I think that will keep me busy for like a month LOL

Enjoy your weekend!

I expect some after-install pics too! Looks like fun. I'll be putting my Valve covers, LIM, UIM and others on this weekend since I finally have all the gaskets and it's getting nicer out. Might get my prt gauge pod in too.:cool:

its more of a tribute to pole.... Actually in the first pic, I didnt even think about the spice rack, it was afterwards when I was looking at the pic I took that I said "Hey thats a spice rack"

I should pick up some valve cover gaskets and paint them too, but I probably won't.

Anyways, spent most of today on my wifes car, then got around to mine, took everything apart, cleaned the LIM and UIM. Put in the new 19lb orange injectors, changed plugs wires and my coil. Tomorrow I will pull the headers off, put some copper permatex on em, and put them back on, hopefully that will fix my header leak, then I will drill the holes for my strut bar and put that on, and hopefully if I have the time I will get the UIM TB and intake all reinstalled. might not do the hose kit this weekend cause I am holding off on swapping differentials. Hoping I can find a good transmission to rebuild, since mine could use new synchros anyways. Then I could take my time with it instead of rushing to rebuild it and get it back in my car, since that car is my daily driver, and I dont want to spend a buncha time driving around in my wifes zetec or her neon.

Then sunday I will take my time and do my stereo. I still gotta figure out a good place to mount my DVD player since I just want to use it as a peripheral now instead of my primary head unit. I just dont like how slowly it loads CDs. Plus the DVD lights blue and white on the display, I want the pioneer cause it lights green so it would fit with my interior better.

LOL copper permatex will be burned out to nothing in a day. it cant withstand the heat bro. trust me. just buy new ford gaskets if your taking it all apart.

Sounds about as fun as my weekend project. I'm going to try and dismantle the tie-rods and front hub assemblies on the Jeep so I can just throw all the new parts on this Wednesday.

Well my weekend is going slow......after 4 hours I got the front header off. Probably going to have to drop the radiator to get the new one on though, I cant sem to get the bolt in the holes with the radiator in :blackeye:

LOL copper permatex will be burned out to nothing in a day. it cant withstand the heat bro. trust me. just buy new ford gaskets if your taking it all apart.

used new ford gaskets last time. I dont care if the permatex burns out, just as long as it leaves enough behind to fill in where the flange warps away. Seems to be working so far.

Car is all done, although I never got around to installing the strut tower bar or the hoses. I'll just throw the strut tower bar on some time when I take the struts off, and the hoses can wait till I am doing the transmission. Anyways, it was a good weekend. Pics coming tomorrow or tuesday, whenever. Engine bay isn't clean and it probably wont be when I take pics either, so dont expect to much.

I dropped my radiator and pulled my fan when I did my headers the first time... but I was doing a lot of other stuff at the time though, so I never even thought of whether I could do it with the fan and radiator still in.. IDK good luck, this time the only header I took off was the rear, so I guess I still cant tell you. I am proud of myself though, y-pipe off, rear header out, gasket out, little permatex on each side of the gasket, gasket back in, header back in, and y-pipe back on. Car was only off the ground for an hour and a half, I think thats pretty good for a rear header.

Anyways, I will see how the car is running tomorrow some more, cause I was tired today between running after the kid, putting the car back together, putting together my new bicycle and trailer, and the other stuff, so I didnt drive it around much, just checked that it was running. I need a TPS though, and I need a new vacuum line to my brake booster cause the end broke on it. other than that, everything is perfect... We'll see right.

I dropped my radiator and pulled my fan when I did my headers the first time... but I was doing a lot of other stuff at the time though, so I never even thought of whether I could do it with the fan and radiator still in.. IDK good luck, this time the only header I took off was the rear, so I guess I still cant tell you. I am proud of myself though, y-pipe off, rear header out, gasket out, little permatex on each side of the gasket, gasket back in, header back in, and y-pipe back on. Car was only off the ground for an hour and a half, I think thats pretty good for a rear header.

Anyways, I will see how the car is running tomorrow some more, cause I was tired today between running after the kid, putting the car back together, putting together my new bicycle and trailer, and the other stuff, so I didnt drive it around much, just checked that it was running. I need a TPS though, and I need a new vacuum line to my brake booster cause the end broke on it. other than that, everything is perfect... We'll see right.

How did you get the top 3 bolts out of the rear header?
....I'm thinking I'll need to pull the alternator for those.

Not from my experience, works on my Mustang's headers (before and after turbo) just fine and better than gaskets.
-J

How did you get the top 3 bolts out of the rear header?
....I'm thinking I'll need to pull the alternator for those.

use a couple long extensions over the subframe to reach them.

now remember, before you take them out, get the EGR tube off. You need a 1 1/16" wrench to take off the EGR. You can leave the O2 sensor on until you have it dropped, it will fit out.

for the one all the way to the drivers side, just a couple long extensions over the top of the subframe. I think I used a 9 inch and a 6 inch??? maybe it was 10 and 8 or something like that.

for the middle bolt, if you already have the header in and are trying to get at the bolt, you need to reach up into the bottom of the header with a wrench. If the stock manifold is on you can reach it with the same 2 extensions through the subframe., but you need to put a swivel or a u-joint between the 2. use the longer extension close to your ratchet.

For the last bolt, the one above the alternator on top. Use your same 2 extensions, but move the u-joint to the end of those 2 extensions, then add a 3 inch extension to the end of that u-joint, then you should be able to reach it just fine.

I didnt pull the alternator or the roll resistors. As long as it takes to pull an alternator, I can say with a great deal of confidence, it is easier to pull the header without pulling the alternator. Although if you have a reason to take the alternator out, it couldnt hurt.

Make sure all the studs come out with the nuts. The only 2 studs it will come out with if they are still in are the ones on the bottom row on the passenger side and the middle.

Not from my experience, works on my Mustang's headers (before and after turbo) just fine and better than gaskets.
-J

yeah I use that stuff all the time on header installs. Most of the time I dont use the gaskets even.

Thanks! :cool:
Now to buy a wrench for the egr :blackeye:

That's one hell of a project.....I'm at 7 hours and 9 of 12 bolts out hahaha!
The damn u joint on an extension is a real tq killer

Thanks! :cool:
Now to buy a wrench for the egr :blackeye:

That's one hell of a project.....I'm at 7 hours and 9 of 12 bolts out hahaha!
The damn u joint on an extension is a real tq killer

use one made for impact wrenches, then it isnt as bad.

yeah its almost not worth doing it with the engine still in the car. I doubt I would do to many more header installs with it in the car, but now that I have done it once, gone back and pulled it out again and put it back in, its not so bad. If I was nearby I would come and help, we could have it whupped in a night.

Back