• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Magnaflow Resonator or Straight Pipe ??

Bolt99SVT

CEG'er
Hey guys,

I hope I'm not bringing up an old topic... I've tried searching, but didn't find my exact answer. I have a '98 CSVT with a couple "cheapy" straight-design mufflers welded to the back. I mainly bought these mufflers to make it look better by filling the bumper cut-outs more, and hoping for a little more sound. They don't sound bad, but I was wanting to see if I can do something to make the car louder...

I see alot of people on here talk about replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow...possibly 10435. But I was also wondering what it would be like to replace the resonator with just a piece of pipe...making it a straight-pipe exhaust (but still keep cats and mufflers).
Has anyone tried this set-up??:shrug: I'm just curious about loudness and if theres any backfire? I LOVE loud exhaust, but I don't really want anything that won't pass inspection...since this car is my DD.

So what are your thought on Magnaflow vs. Straight-Pipe (removing resonator) ???

Thanks,
Frank

Hey guys,

I hope I'm not bringing up an old topic... I've tried searching, but didn't find my exact answer. I have a '98 CSVT with a couple "cheapy" straight-design mufflers welded to the back. I mainly bought these mufflers to make it look better by filling the bumper cut-outs more, and hoping for a little more sound. They don't sound bad, but I was wanting to see if I can do something to make the car louder...

I see alot of people on here talk about replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow...possibly 10435. But I was also wondering what it would be like to replace the resonator with just a piece of pipe...making it a straight-pipe exhaust (but still keep cats and mufflers).
Has anyone tried this set-up??:shrug: I'm just curious about loudness and if theres any backfire? I LOVE loud exhaust, but I don't really want anything that won't pass inspection...since this car is my DD.

So what are your thought on Magnaflow vs. Straight-Pipe (removing resonator) ???

Thanks,
Frank

Your honestly saying....you searched and found nothing on that subject??

Are you kidding...thats the 1st thing people post in here. Removal of the resonator or mufflers.
This topic has been beaten badly over the years.

I wish it was sticked...or someone would edit the stickies (1fastdad) up top to help answer these questions. :crazy:

Put a resonator on your car...or you will get some rasp.The last time this question was posted (which was 1 out of 80+) i was given a warning...because i said a car without a resonator sounds like ass. Well to me, it does sound like ass. lol, The moderator in this section ran without a resonator and well..he wasn't happy with my comment :)
There are tons of sound clips on this on youtube...streetfire etc etc. Some time sooon...the stickies will be updated with new links to exhaust vids.

Like harry said. I didn't like his comment so I yelled at him LOL. I liked my stright pipe in place of my rez. Some people don't. It's all personal opinion. But also like harry said. You clearly didn't search quite right as it really is the first question most people ask when on ceg!!

And harry as for the exhaust clips not being updated it's because I'm not gettig any new clips to upload.

No res= Loud and RICEY. I believe that it was LUCA who told me that adding the magnaflow to her car actually made it quieter. I'd suggest going with a cherry-bomb style muffler in place of the resonator from what I've read.

No res= Loud and RICEY. I believe that it was LUCA who told me that adding the magnaflow to her car actually made it quieter. I'd suggest going with a cherry-bomb style muffler in place of the resonator from what I've read.

it was from adding the magnaflow mufflers to the car. her exhaust system iirc is identical to mine on my SVT. glasspack in place of the resonator. from the rear y back piping was replaced with 2.5" to magnaflow mufflers.

she said that with just the glaspack it was louder and better sounding iirc.

I did search, but it was late at night and I didn't see anything specific to what I was asking.... I DID find alot on the Magnaflow and other resonators.

Wow....sorry if I didn't search hard enough, but I figured it might be helpful to me to get some fresh ideas and thoughts....:blackeye:
Sorry to bring up a "beat" topic... I didn't realize it was so touchy on here, and I was going to offend some people...

Well thanks for your help anyways.:cool: I'll just search some more and check out video clips when I get my speakers hooked up.

Frank

Don't mess around with straight pipe in my opinion. It is louder yes, but it sounds like crap. It is cheap, but then again, it sounds like crap. Get a magnaflow res and it will sound great. Sure it costs $60 or something...It is worth it in the end!

I will take a :blackeye: for this but what is the standard, the 14335, 12635 or the 10435? :shrug:

And offset or not?

Man i want to order domino's right now!!!

Even after the video of the guy sticking the cheese in his nose and farting on the meats?

How so?? The op is talking about a stright pipe inplace of the rez???

He said he has cheap mufflers on the back which can sound raspy just like the stock mufflers do but you have magnaflows on the back which usually sound deep instead of raspy.

Back