• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vacuum Test question.

svtd00d

CEG'er
im not sure where i should have placed this question. but anyway, i was curious what tool i need to test my vaccum lines for my 'vent stuck on defrost' issue. some of the vaccum lines trail behind the EGR/manifold its impossible to see them.

im guessing theres probably a tool to test for vacuum or lack thereof.. and then a follow up question..

Assuming it is stuck on defrost (which it is), are the other lines supposed to be closed off or open when not being used? Because if they are open then the vaccum test wouldnt work...

I have been chasing a vacuum leak for months. I don't think there is a miracle tool to pinpoint the vacuum leak. You have to go from easy to difficult and do your best. Visual inspection first then removing hoses for further inspection if needed. But I have to tell you that there is more to vacuum leak than those few hoses that you can't see...
Some professionals use a smoke machine(not easy for DIY guys) to find it though I am not sure how this applies to your case.

Also it would help more if you provide more info about your car...

98silver CSVT 150k, MTX 2.5L i spose the only reason i didnt post my car stats was cause i was just curious if there was such a tool out there that could test for vaccum.

Im sure even the naked eye wont find most of the leaks even if i was lookin right at them, unless the leaks have to be significant to affect how the vents switch. Im in the process of putting pictures to better show what i mean.

vaccum%20hoses.JPG

heres what im talking about, behind the manifold is almost impossible to get to!!

vaccum%20hose%20again.JPG

and im not sure what this black thing is, but i swear even through all the engine noise while im listening for it, i can hear hissing. but maybe thats normal and why would it hiss if i have it on defrost where its supposed to be.

edit: and i was hoping that the controls for my vents had something to do with that black thing because thats easily removable.

that BLACK THING, is ur EGR solenoid. doesnt have anything to do with the defroster, but the vacume lines comming off the solenoid go to a rubber connecter i believe, and there are a bunch of small plastic vacume lines that connect there. the plastic lines always break, they get brittle from the heat from the engine bay, plus, you cant allways see where the breaks are cuz sometimes the break apart inside the rubber boots. i ended up going to auto zone, buying some rubber line and some connectors for a few bucks and replaced all the plastic lines

so you're positive that those colored plastic vacuum hoses have nothing to do with changing my vents?? or just specifically that solenoid? the only reason i ask is because they are the same type of hard plastic hoses that you find on the vacuum switch near your feet and out the back of the control head. I figured somewhere between the switch on my dash and that solenoid there is a leak, which is nearly impossible to fix without massive removal of parts (manifold, egr valve, etc).

so you're positive that those colored plastic vacuum hoses have nothing to do with changing my vents?? or just specifically that solenoid? the only reason i ask is because they are the same type of hard plastic hoses that you find on the vacuum switch near your feet and out the back of the control head. I figured somewhere between the switch on my dash and that solenoid there is a leak, which is nearly impossible to fix without massive removal of parts (manifold, egr valve, etc).

Lots of vacuum lines in your car are made of that kind of plastic. Be very careful handling the ones under the hood, they are brittle and break easily. Pull out your heater switch and start checking to see if you have vacuum there first, then move on to other areas.

im not sure where i should have placed this question. but anyway, i was curious what tool i need to test my vaccum lines for my 'vent stuck on defrost' issue. some of the vaccum lines trail behind the EGR/manifold its impossible to see them.

im guessing theres probably a tool to test for vacuum or lack thereof.. and then a follow up question..

Assuming it is stuck on defrost (which it is), are the other lines supposed to be closed off or open when not being used? Because if they are open then the vaccum test wouldnt work...

I had the exact same problem after I installed my turbo...the problem was that I had forgotten to plug back in one of the colored plastic vacuum lines behind the IAC and EGR solenoid...I would check there, but as others have said, you might have to check the entire system to find the leak...you might be able to hear the hissing sound of it leaking to pinpoint where it is coming from, though...

Look from under the car. If you look up at the firewall where the heater hoses enter the car, you should be able to find the vacuum line for your HVAC controls. There are only two vacuum lines that go towards your firewall (if i remember correctly...) and those are 1) HVAC control vacuum line and 2) A vacuum line for your evaporative emissions system. If you can't find it from underneath, check from up top, right behind the coil pack and where the main engine wire harness passes along the cylinder head. Between that and the firewall will be your HVAC vacuum line. TO TEST: buy or borrow a vacuum pump tester tool from a parts store. Those have a guage that will show the line holding vacuum. Test it on both sides of the vacuum line to determine if it is your HVAC tube and controls or if the leak is between the HVAC tube and intake manifold

thanks for the insight greasemonkey, ill definitely check that out. ha its been 2 years running now i havent had properly working vents. im feelin good about fixin it this summer. ;)

now you said that black thing in the picture was my egr soleniod.. can you point out where the IAC is? or is it the same thing

In your first pic, the IACV is to the right of the EGR solenoid, light colored cylinder with electrical connector coming off the right rear (as viewed in the pic) corner of the UIM.

Back