• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High Temp and transmission bogging down

photodreamer

New CEG'er
Hello, I've been noticing some trouble with my 1998 Ford Contour SE Sport with the Zetec 2.0L 4 cyl engine. A few months ago I noticed that the electric cooling fan was staying on all the time. Just in the past few weeks I noticed that the temperature gage is higher than normal at times. About 3/4 of the way across. When it does that my transmission seems to be bogging down. It will make a low vibration when i press the gas and the RPM's won't go up unless I press the gas pedal harder. If i press the gas slowly the RPM's won't go up.

I'm not sure if this is related to some sort of sensor. Maybe the one that's causing the fan to stay on all the time? I checked all fluids and they're topped off. Including the transmission. I'm very broke right now and out of work which is why I haven't fixed the fan from staying on. But I was just curious if anyone knew what could be wrong?

Thank you

Welcome :) . How is the condition of the wiring harness in the engine bay? Your Check Engine Light is probably on. Go to Advance or Autozone and have them scan the code(s) (free service). Then post the exact code(s) here. It could be a relay or sensor but get the codes and we should be able to diagnose more. To download an Owners' Manual (free) www.fleet.ford.com

Hello Tony,

There's no check engine light on at all and the engine bay is spotless. Car has low miles as well. I think about 146,000 km's. I got it in 2004. I only drive about 6,000km's a year. Unfortunately I can't afford to take it in right now. I just thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem like this.

Thanks

Welcome :) . How is the condition of the wiring harness in the engine bay? Your Check Engine Light is probably on. Go to Advance or Autozone and have them scan the code(s) (free service). Then post the exact code(s) here. It could be a relay or sensor but get the codes and we should be able to diagnose more. To download an Owners' Manual (free) www.fleet.ford.com

I wonder if your water pump is broken. Turn on the heat and if only cool air comes out, that is usually a sign of a failed WP.

heat still works fine. very hot. the temp gage always stops at about 3/4 way, doesn't go into the red or near the far end of the gage. i had the same problem happen on an old dodge omni i had. i seem to remember i replaced the sensor for the fan then all was fine after that. just need to find out where it is so i can order the part.

I wonder if your water pump is broken. Turn on the heat and if only cool air comes out, that is usually a sign of a failed WP.

Last edited:
Thank you Tony. Will check it out first thing in the new year when I have a little more money. I only drive short trips now, so i'll try not to drive much more than that till i can get it fixed.

The relay is by the bottom of the radiator. Pretty sure Figure 5, about an inch above the hand is the relay.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/8a/0900823d801bc48a.jsp

The gauge sender and/or Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is by the thermostat for the 2L Zetec.

Gauge sender
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c3/79/0900823d801bc379.jsp

ECT.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/ba/0900823d801bcaba.jsp

Back