• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Frozen Parking Brakes (or e-brakes as some would call it)

Tony2005

Addicted CEG'er
A few nights ago, I forgot to release the Parking brakes before "calling it a night". The next morning the brake cables "froze". After trying to unfreeze it by accelerating very fast (the smell of burning brake pads was bad), then slamming on the brakes (heard the front ABS kick in), and still no results, I stopped and pulled the lever real hard and then released it. Tried this (lifting and releasing) 2 more times and then the cable loosened. This reminded me of the a method I learned to loosen a stuck bolt. You tighten it a little more to "break" it loose before removing it.

Next time it happens, I will do the lifting the Parking brake lever a little higher and releasing it, lifting, releasing, lifting, releasing until the cable "breaks" loose. All this while having the engine idling and hoping the vibration and heat generated at the exhaust will assist in unfreezing the cable. I think I will try it again one of these cold Friday or Saturday nights just to see if I can get the method to work without driving (just idling). :) Not good to try it the night before a working day.

"Sorry Boss, can't come in 'til the temperature goes above 32 F, my parking brakes froze on me." :laugh: That, I don't think will "fly" (too, pardon my play of words) ;) .

Whats the cure for that problem? Seems like it be easier to fix than to keep having the PITA issues.

Mine has gotten stuck a few times this winter when the temps dropped alot. Never happened other winters. I was backing out the driveway and felt the pads still biting the rotors. After a couple of mins of driving it was free though.

So I'm trying to get in the habit of parking without the e-brake in my driveway overnight.

Almost odd to see tony ask for advice....since hes always the one giving it out! IM gonna have to mark this down! :laugh: Yeah id want to get the cable looked at. IS it at all possible to lubricate it?

Almost odd to see tony ask for advice....since hes always the one giving it out! IM gonna have to mark this down! :laugh: Yeah id want to get the cable looked at. IS it at all possible to lubricate it?

doubt it will do anything ... last I check the cable kit was about $50 and it took an hour or two to replace the cables ....

Almost odd to see tony ask for advice....since hes always the one giving it out! IM gonna have to mark this down! :laugh: .........
I know it is hard to believe this :cool: but .....even I don't know everything there is to know about the Contour. :laugh:

Click Thread Tools, Subscribe to save this thread. ROTFL.:laugh:

Edit.
... the cable kit was about $50 and it took an hour or two to replace the cables ....
I am pretty sure I had the new cable kit (installed in 1999). Some have posted that the new kit has problems too. And when I confirm that I had the new kit, I will chalk that down to my experience too.

From old FAQ,
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=2

Last edited:
this happend to me 2 times this winter. i had to get under the car and move the hooks back on the caliper. now heres my fool proof way.
P1010088-2.jpg

this happend to me 2 times this winter. i had to get under the car and move the hooks back on the caliper. now heres my fool proof way.
P1010088-2.jpg
ROTFL. I thought of that too right after it happened. Speaking of which.....(runs out to check).

I have to say, I never use mine when I park and I live in San Diego. Only time it ever gets used is when I'm working on the car, or have it running (obviously). First on flat and uphill, reverse facing downhill, can't go wrong. Parked cars post in pics and vids is further confirmation of my belief that this is the best way to go.

I have to say, I never use mine when I park and I live in San Diego. Only time it ever gets used is when I'm working on the car, or have it running (obviously). First on flat and uphill, reverse facing downhill, can't go wrong. Parked cars post in pics and vids is further confirmation of my belief that this is the best way to go.
yea i always use both the gear and the brake and it sucks cause i have to put a brick under the tire so it can warm up a bit when its real cold. i like to let the high ideal fall

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the park brake freezing only a problem when you leave it. When I am in the snow I start the car and put the park brake on while she warms up. I don't think you need to go to the trouble of using a brick or anything for just a few minutes, but then again, I could be wrong. I do afterall live in SD and we don't get that many (read any) freezing cold mornings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the park brake freezing only a problem when you leave it. When I am in the snow I start the car and put the park brake on while she warms up. I don't think you need to go to the trouble of using a brick or anything for just a few minutes, but then again, I could be wrong. I do afterall live in SD and we don't get that many (read any) freezing cold mornings.

well if i use it, it is stuck right away. i need new cables

Thats the problem im having. Except i found the source. It my handle. This is what i did. I pulled the E-brake really hard and it unfroze the cable that i was having trouble with. But now i have a nother problem. Its my handle. The wire wants to keep moving and bending this piece of metal when it should be on the gear. It keeps sliping off the gear. So im not sure what to do but ive tried somethings the last 3 hours and they havnt worked. I tried using vice-grips on it several times. O ya and dont forget contour e-brakes are self adjusting. They are a little more difficult to work with. Any thoughts where i could get a new handle assembly?

Back