• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlamp assemblies

Bowerbird

New CEG'er
I'm most likely a month or two away from selling my beloved 2000 Contour (V6), and I feel that it would be good to replace the headlamp assemblies. The plastic tabs are cracked off (both on both headlights), and the lights are really badly hazed over (fixable, I know, but the tabs mean the next owner could potentially fail inspection due to the lights aiming low).

Anyway, do you think it's ok to get what appear to be non-OEM parts? I've looked on Ebay and found some for ~135.00. It seems a fair price, but are these going to be leaky pieces of crap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-CONTOUR-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-ASSEMBLY-PAIR-98-99-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230327706925QQitemZ230327706925QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Would I be better off trying to find a junkyard around the Austin area and working from there?

Thanks!

You got to remember it is not only problems with leaking but problems with proper fitment as well once you are going aftermarket headlights...

fitment will probably be semi ok. sometimes fitment is perfect with those, other times it is somewhat off. I think the OP just wanted to know if he could replace the originals with those and get OE function.

Short answer is yes. you shouldnt have to worry about leaking, those lights will pass inspection, they will be able to be aimed properly, and they will probably look better. Although the fit might be slightly off, so they probably wont look perfect, and I have also found that they dont provide as much usable light and as nice a beam pattern as OEM.

fitment will probably be semi ok. sometimes fitment is perfect with those, other times it is somewhat off. I think the OP just wanted to know if he could replace the originals with those and get OE function.

Short answer is yes. you shouldnt have to worry about leaking, those lights will pass inspection, they will be able to be aimed properly, and they will probably look better. Although the fit might be slightly off, so they probably wont look perfect, and I have also found that they dont provide as much usable light and as nice a beam pattern as OEM.

I've only sen maybe 3 cars in my day where those lights looked decent. Unlike my car....i got the shaft...but of course a dremel and some cutting made them fit perfect :)

I have TYCs on mine and they are a perfect fit. I know fitment isnt always perfect, but you are probably overly critical of the fitment too. I can notice little things you would never know in a million years were there on my car and to me they seem to be as obvious as the neon lights of vegas.

I can notice little things you would never know in a million years were there on my car and to me they seem to be as obvious as the neon lights of vegas.

You too?

Me: Look at that.
Someone else: What?
Me: What do you mean what? Can't you see that huge spot of ugly?(perhaps only a 1/16th in scratch):laugh:

Anyway to the OP, you could probably even to go a local u pull and get a decent set of OEM(may need some clearing) for around $35 per side. Just a thought.

I have been told many times I am seeing things. I used laser levels one time to determine that I had mounted an emblem almost 1/4" higher on one side than I had the other. Two emblems I mean, opposite sides of the car

I have been told many times I am seeing things. I used laser levels one time to determine that I had mounted an emblem almost 1/4" higher on one side than I had the other. Two emblems I mean, opposite sides of the car

When my mom goes look you have a gap here...(between headlight and fender). I think thats pretty bad...especially when my mom doesn't know (and can cares) about cars :shrug: She doesn't pay that much too detail...it was just really bad.

ask everyone around egl....i'm just as anal as you guys are and the headlights drove me crazy....argh

the DEPO headlights are absolutely fine for an inexpensive headlight if thats all you want, if you wanted to hightower them (which in this case you dont want them), then you would want to go OEM Ford.

Also, I have heard of some minor fitment issues with DEPO headlights in rare cases. You WILL need to align the headlights when you install them, which is pretty easy to do, there is a couple of long screw stems that come from the the bottom of the headlights which allow you to adjust the headlights left/right up/down. So you pull up to a wall, shine the headlights on that wall and align them to a point where you feel they are comfortable.

So it all sounds very hit or miss! Are these "DEPO" headlights for sure? I guess I will have to first scour some junkyards and then order these if they don't work. As it is, with both tabs broken, the aim and fit of current lights can't get much worse!

If nothing else you can go to a body shop and buy headlights off of them. Most body shops use TYC, you can find them on Ebay too. TYC doesnt usually have a lot of fitment issues

When my mom goes look you have a gap here...(between headlight and fender). I think thats pretty bad...especially when my mom doesn't know (and can cares) about cars :shrug: She doesn't pay that much too detail...it was just really bad.

ask everyone around egl....i'm just as anal as you guys are and the headlights drove me crazy....argh

jeez..... I would have gone insane

If nothing else you can go to a body shop and buy headlights off of them. Most body shops use TYC, you can find them on Ebay too. TYC doesnt usually have a lot of fitment issues

jeez..... I would have gone insane

Well Mr dakota....it is and was...i just shaved off some of the headlight to be able to push the thing back.:cool:

So it all sounds very hit or miss! Are these "DEPO" headlights for sure? I guess I will have to first scour some junkyards and then order these if they don't work. As it is, with both tabs broken, the aim and fit of current lights can't get much worse!

No, not a "for sure". I got them for my daughter's car once and they fit horribly! That was before all the discussion about how well they fit or don't fit.
I have heard from a few others that their Depo lights did not fit correctly either.

FWIW I've got a set of Eagle Eye lights, they fit great!

well who asked you:p............:laugh:

Just kidding dacker...i've heard mixed reviews on those as well. I'm just gonna order ford headlights next time and pay 1/8 of what my cars worth to get them :laugh:

well who asked you:p............:laugh:

Just kidding dacker...i've heard mixed reviews on those as well. I'm just gonna order ford headlights next time and pay 1/8 of what my cars worth to get them :laugh:

Where's the little guy giving the finger when you need him:laugh:

I got my set from peppermint patty, they are still in the boxes actually. My car still has it's original lights on it.

I have a mixed match set also one is a Depot and I don't know what the other one is that I tried hightowering, the non-Depot popped right open, the depot on the other hand:nonono: I now have an extra OEM light (with broken tabs) that I'm going to pop, trying to decide if I want to do black to t-green hightowers, figure I will do one in each color and see which I like better (before re-sealing).

Where's the little guy giving the finger when you need him:laugh:

I got my set from peppermint patty, they are still in the boxes actually. My car still has it's original lights on it.

I have a mixed match set also one is a Depot and I don't know what the other one is that I tried hightowering, the non-Depot popped right open, the depot on the other hand:nonono: I now have an extra OEM light (with broken tabs) that I'm going to pop, trying to decide if I want to do black to t-green hightowers, figure I will do one in each color and see which I like better (before re-sealing).

Oh man....i would go with a darker color...i'm not a fan of the same color lenses....i guess thats what turns me off of the corvette:nonono:

the DEPO headlights are absolutely fine for an inexpensive headlight if thats all you want, if you wanted to hightower them (which in this case you dont want them), then you would want to go OEM Ford.

keep in mind that the new Ford OEM headlights have the black glue/ sealant and not the old cream/yellow glue. i got a set last year and they have the black glue.

OEM Headlights

OEM Headlights

If you don't want to take a chance on aftermarket fitment, I have a pair of OEMs that I took out of my 1999 that are in very good condition. They are listed with pictures in the classifieds on 12/29/08. I'll knock $10 off the price if you want them.

Back