• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

zetec ATX to MTX swap

OB1

Hard-core CEG'er
I don't know if this is the place to post up but its a wierd situation all around. My buddies son fell in love with SVT's, decided to build a clone out of a zetec for the kid, ATX crapped out. swapped everything over to a MTX. Its a 95 with a 98 front end conversion.

All right the car would start before the trans swap & ran fine but since the trans swap it wont fire. The pcm is allegedly the same. They changed the wiring harness to the MTX one while it was out. The fuel pump is working & it has "power" to the coilpack but its not getting the crank sensor signal I guess. The part # for the crank sensor is supposed to be the same from ATX to MTX. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advise on this, Is there something we overlooked during the trans swap?

Is it an MTX wiring harness from a 95? if not then i suspect the pinouts are different between the 95 and 96/97 PCMs. even if it is from a 95 the PCM pinouts may still be different. i would talk to someone with a 95 Ford CD and see if they can get you the pinout view.

Both harnesses were from a 95 but I fear you are right. we are hoping its something simple but most of the simple things have been eliminated.

yeah the pcm needs to match the wiring harness.

if you check neco there is info, at least for the duratec, on how to modify the atx wiring harness so that the car will run correctly. you have to do something to make it think its out of park or it will only rev to 4 krpm, and there are other things.

the most straight forward way is to swap the harness and pcm.

PCM should be different, ATX inputs about 50 things into it that will be missing with a MTX, bound to confuse things. Just to confuse things more, I looked at a schematic of an unknown year (Haynes manual, crap) that DID show automatic and manual trans PCM difference which was MAJOR. The auto trans PCM used a separate freestanding ignition module to control the coils, whereas the manual PCM had the module incorporated into the PCM, obviously two different parts.

The brackets that hold the crank positioning sensor are different. The manual transmission one is a lot shorter than the one for the automatic. The sensors and plugs are the same

PCM should be different, ATX inputs about 50 things into it that will be missing with a MTX, bound to confuse things. Just to confuse things more, I looked at a schematic of an unknown year (Haynes manual, crap) that DID show automatic and manual trans PCM difference which was MAJOR. The auto trans PCM used a separate freestanding ignition module to control the coils, whereas the manual PCM had the module incorporated into the PCM, obviously two different parts.
The pre98 PCMs (97 at the very least) are the same between ATX and MTX with the exception of 2 shared pins and a couple extra pins, so you would still have to use the proper PCM. Otherwise they are the exact same.

Back