• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear center seatbelt won't work.

Joe_Shmoe

New CEG'er
I have a 98 SE V6 auto, and yesterday I tried to buckle my daughter into her seat and the belt wouldn't give any slack. It feels like its locked or something because it just won't budge. I tried pulling it and pushing it a number of ways but I'm not gettng anywhere. Can anyone help?

I have a 98 SE V6 auto, and yesterday I tried to buckle my daughter into her seat and the belt wouldn't give any slack. It feels like its locked or something because it just won't budge. I tried pulling it and pushing it a number of ways but I'm not gettng anywhere. Can anyone help?

Seatbelts have an auto lock function. If you pull belt completely out it will then ratchet back and lock in at any length. Lock if for pulling out further and belt still should retract back in. Fully retracting belt will then clear the lock.

Maybe your belt got locked and now retract is not working or check for belt fold over and jammed into rear retract housing.

Yeah it seems like its not wanting to retract no matter what I do. So how do I find if its the lock or not?

It is very sensitive. Try putting the car on level ground to see if it works. If not, you may have to unbolt the whole mechanism from the bottom and check the reel. Push the seat back down or access from the trunk.

Back