• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NC guys?

Harrry

Addicted CEG'er
I might be moving to North Carolina...I was wondering, if anyone can fill me in with where i should be for a nice place to stay. Not rich...but def not somewhere bad.

I don't know the cost of living. So on average, what do places rent for..etc houses? in areas? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Just throw ideas out for me thanks!!!

I know south NC pretty well. Charlotte area. Its a growing area. What part of NC are you thinking?

Well we really haven't decided yet. We have been thinking about Charlotte but heard some really bad things. Of course there are always bad thing happening in major cities....other then that. I'm def thinking the north end of NC.

Well if you were moving down there for work reason I would say move to northern SC and get cheaper living and other expenses. I dont know a whole lot about northern NC so I cant help you there.

Where you go depends on your reasons for moving. NC is divided into 3 regions geographically and climatologically - the Mountains, the Piedmont, and the Coastal Plain. The major city in the mtns is Asheville; in the Piedmont it is Charlotte; and in the Coastal Plain it is Raleigh. All have their good and bad points. 'northern' NC covers all three of these zones, so that is a curious definition of how to pick a place to live down here.

Are you coming here for work, a change in climate, or ?.

Where you go depends on your reasons for moving. NC is divided into 3 regions geographically and climatologically - the Mountains, the Piedmont, and the Coastal Plain. The major city in the mtns is Asheville; in the Piedmont it is Charlotte; and in the Coastal Plain it is Raleigh. All have their good and bad points. 'northern' NC covers all three of these zones, so that is a curious definition of how to pick a place to live down here.

Are you coming here for work, a change in climate, or ?.

Work..climate change, my gf applied to several colleges and 2 of them are in NC for her masters. So it's between ten, NC and wash. I've only been to the southern part of North Carolina but obviously never the northern part. I don't have to live right next to the colleges. But i want to live near the city maybe 10 drive etc etc or heck live in the city.

Lets say Charlotte...what part of the city is the nicest? what areas outside of the city our nice 10-15 min drive?

If you are thinking about Charlotte I'd say live in SC. Rock Hill, SC its the first city into SC and is one exit away from Mecklenburg county. Charlotte as an area still with strong growth and property values have stayed flat where most other areas have all dropped. Avoid the Ballantyne area both for cost and traffic. Suburbs like Fort Mill and Rock Hill in South Carolina offer better schools and lower taxes. And - no inspections for cars - say good bye to the CAT on your exhaust system.

I live outside of Hickory... which is about an hour Northwest of Charlotte. Basically I'm at the foot of the mountains ;) Weather is nice... it does get cold here but nothing like you're used to I'm sure.

Actually Hickory isn't a bad place to live and raise a family... but it's nothing like the "hustle and bussle" of Charlotte. I seem to remember not too long ago either Hickory or Morganton made it to the top 10 places in the country to raise a family or something like that.

What colleges is your GF looking at? Give me some feedback here and I'll help you out whatever way I can :)

Shannon

Damn Harrry then you wouldnt be that far from me, that would be awsome man, we wouldnt definitly have to have out dude.

Damn Harrry then you wouldnt be that far from me, that would be awsome man, we wouldnt definitly have to have out dude.

No kidding man....it would be a few hours drive but thats nothing.

Heck we might move to the north end of SC now, or ten.... Knoxville. As long as i can get a job and find a decent place in a nice area...i'm ready to go :shrug: While she attends college. She got accepted to 7 colleges. So anywhere around them is obviously where we would be.:cool:

Now due to some recent activities on her side of the family, all this might be put on hold for another year.:blackeye: Which i totally understand...family comes first. So i have to support her.

NC is great no matter where you go the terrible roads will follow :p. But we do have nice colleges and nice geography.

EDIT: On a side note where did the all NC guys go :(?

Im just north of charlotte in Huntersville and love it hear. its right by lake norman, i could walk there if i wanted, if you get a house on the lake you'll be spending a bit, and huntersville isnt all that cheap but you can find some deals here lately...

I'm in Raleigh and have been here half my life. Raleigh isn't really the best place when it comes to partying and leisure activities. I normally go to the pool halls since I'm not much of a party-person (plus I'm only 18 so there isn't much I can do anyway lol). When people ask about Raleigh, that is what most people inquire about. As for colleges, we have plenty of them. I personally will be going to Shaw simply because it is probably the only one that will take me lol. All-in-all, most people usually choose Charlotte. I've never been there so I can't comment on that...

I saw knoxville mentioned in here! Hell ya Harry im like 25min from downtown Knoxville. stuff is cheap cost of living wise here especially compared to the area your in now im sure.

Back