• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

type of oil and filter

raymond

CEG'er
Do you think that the motorcraft filter fl820s and mobil one 5000 5w30 oil would be good in my svt which has 139k miles on it to get me through the New Jersey winter? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I use an extended life Fram filter (Fram filter?! *gasp* lol) and Mobile1 Extended Performance 15000 mile oil, 5W30. I love it and it really does last along time, I usually change it every 7500-10000 miles, though, since the filter is only rated for 7500 miles anyways. It's about twice as much per quart as the Mobile1 5000 ($2.75 vs $5.35), but lasts 3 times longer, so...
Nathan

Mobil clean, Mobil Drive Clean, Mobil 5000, all are not synthetic. Mobil 1 is synthetic.

Mobil 5000 is intended for 5000 mile change intervals. Mobil 7500 is a blend and is intended for 7500 mile change intervals, Mobil 1 is intended for 10,000 mile change intervals, and Mobil 1 EP is intended for 15,000 miles change intervals.

i just read what was on the bottle i just want it to make it through the winter as this is a fla car and it was originaly in arizona and the previous owner had mobil 1 20w50 in it and the dealer where i bought it for 1,500 dollars had changed it and put 20w 50 in it which i know is not really good for winter . and since funds are lacking until the 20th i cant put what i want in it which is royal purple 5w30 the car is in ok shape as it is needs some tlc motor mount,headlights ,splashshield little stuff. i want it to look like it should which is the day it came off the show room floor that and the 3.0 out of my taurus when i get back home

Last edited:
i've been using a fram filter....

Ban this boy (or girl). :laugh: J/K.

I posted once that Fram is fine and got crucified. The Purolator is as cheap (sometimes cheaper) but better according to tests conducted. But in a clutch, I will use Fram rather than leave an old oil filter in. Not many "in a clutch" situations recently ;) . I change the oil and oil filter once every 3K miles. I think the next time will be January when it is freezing. iffy ube will do it and it means I have to assume it is a Fram filter. In addition, it means, I will spend 2 minutes checking to make sure that there is enough oil and the filter and drain plug is on tight.

iffy ube will do it and it means I have to assume it is a Fram filter. In addition, it means, I will spend 2 minutes checking to make sure that there is enough oil and the filter and drain plug is on tight.

Tony, why don't you just buy the oil and filter and ask them to change it for a small fee? That's what I used to do when I was using dino oil in my car during the winter. They charged me like $5/6, but it was worth it not freezing my arse off. Plus, you feel better since you know they aren't using 'their' oil + crap filter.

....ask them to change it for a small fee? .....
Who is them? iffy ube? I doubt there will do it.

My indy takes about three hours to get it done. I will probably end up dropping it off on a Saturday for the indy to do it. He uses Purolator and regular dino oil (which is fine with me). :)

I'm actually going to wait for a sale of that 5w20 synthetic again (there was some by Shell and by Quaker State) that usually costs me about 30% less then regular price, after that I'll head on over to my friend behind the counter who will "ring me out" :)

Mobil 1 and a Wix filter for me.
If I can't get a Wix then I will use Motorcraft.
So, you will be fine with a Motorcraft filter. Whatever oil you use, be it dino or synthetic, use 5W30 for the car and you will be fine up in NJ for the winter.

Back