• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Underbody Spoiler

svtdriver86

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey guys/girls(?),

I ran into (or over, rather) a problem today on the highway. As a result my front underbody spoiler got ripped from my front bumper. Needless to say it makes driving over 65 mph impossible.

If anybody can help me, I need a replacement. Does anyone know of any websites to get the part? I don't really want to have to buy from Ford directly. They probably charge way too much.

Thanks.

I THINK that you're referring to the splash guard. It comes loose fair easily. Look under the front end of your car and I believe that you will find 3? screws on the front cross member that screw into little plastic clips. You might have ripped the holes and made them larger, so you might need some washers to re-secure it.

Either that, or just remove the whole thing completely. A lot of people go without them.

how does it keep you from doing more the 65 unless its hanging there flapping around .... post 98 didn't even come with a splash shield like the pre98s or the SVTs...

also going to the dealer for a new one make no sense. go to a junk yard and get one, maybe post in the classifieds? :help:

how does it keep you from doing more the 65 unless its hanging there flapping around .... post 98 didn't even come with a splash shield like the pre98s or the SVTs...

also going to the dealer for a new one make no sense. go to a junk yard and get one, maybe post in the classifieds? :help:

If it comes loose and is just setting in the bumper, it WILL come out of the lip on the bottom of the bumper (essentially the last thing holding it in) at 65-70 MPH and then grind against the tires and drag on the ground.

Sorry, but even if it was hanging by 1 screw, it still won't stop the car from driving at any speed. You'll here some noise and look like an idiot driving down the road while it's dragging, but it won't make anything "impossible".

If it comes loose and is just setting in the bumper, it WILL come out of the lip on the bottom of the bumper (essentially the last thing holding it in) at 65-70 MPH and then grind against the tires and drag on the ground.
yeah it does. im not allowed to tell my story on this forum but it happened in the turbo Zetec. :crazy::laugh:

Sorry, but even if it was hanging by 1 screw, it still won't stop the car from driving at any speed. You'll here some noise and look like an idiot driving down the road while it's dragging, but it won't make anything "impossible".

Believe it or not, it IS possible for it to have NO screws holding it in...as in what I was talking about.... :troutslap:

My problem was that a mechanic sabotaged me by pulling it loose (left all the screws in the plastic plugs) to change the oil filter.

Ah...splash guard...good to know. I guess I just figured it held some aerodynamic properties since it seems to cover the bottom of the engine and divert airflow. Probably does that too.

Most people take it off? Seriously? No harm done to the car?

Ah...splash guard...good to know. I guess I just figured it held some aerodynamic properties since it seems to cover the bottom of the engine and divert airflow. Probably does that too.

If it's in good shape, just re-attach it. My 3L SVT has no splash guard with no ill-effects. Then again, I don't ford deep water with it either.

I wouldn't say people take them off on purpose, but they might get forgoten, etc. like I mentioned some cars didn't even come with them. basically they help to draw air through the radiator.

I need to make one for my car, makes me feel nervous driving around with that CAI hanging down so low, plus I cant go through automatic car washes even if I wanted to without it.

FWIW, I took mine off while doing some work and saw that it's pretty damaged, so I left it off by choice. I have gone speeds high enough not to mention on this forum, and it hasn't hurt any. I'm planning on putting a better shape one on sometime, but I have other concerns. I do use automatic car washes, and have driven through deep puddles... Not by choice... and have had no problem.

Been guardless for 3 years.

Augi I have an NPG cold air intake (not a short ram) that is drawing air from my fender area, the filter sits near the bottom of the fender area. That means from where it sits I have more chance of sucking in water than in a stock configuration. The reason I say I need to make one is because my car has an aftermarket front bumper which is much more open than the CSVT bumper. So I have a big open area right in front of the filter.

Back