• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rusted quarter panel

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
Was checking out a t-red with some bad rust spots the other day. And was wondering, how hard/expensive would it be to fix or replace something like this? I'm guessing the whole quarter panel would have to be replaced but I have no idea if that can be done or how complicated it would be.

On the lip and bubbling up in a few spots higher up above the wheel that you can't really see in the pic.
picture.php

closeup
picture.php

It will be a costly fix, The only right way to do it is remove the infected metal. and weld in new. a new 1/4 panel replacement (weld in) for the contours are VERY expensive (talking 800$). Your best bet is to find a good body shop and a good doner car. Cut the quarter panel area out of doner car and graft it onto your car. In the end though, the price to replace it (unless done by yourself) will probably be more than the cars worth.

Replacing the panel is definitely NOT the way to go. The panel is huge (goes up and OVER the doors) and would require way too much labor. Do as was said and get a body shop to do their thing, whether it be cutting and welding or bondo...

i dont understand why you say replacing the panel is 'NOT' the way to go. To do it right, it's the only way. It is a big panel but to ensure you remove all the infected metal it's the right way. Bondo will cover it for a couple of years but then you will have a bigger problem then you started with. If you can get a decent body shop they could make you a new 'dog leg' for the rear door panel and weld it in. If thats the only area that has rust on it.

The body work involved for that is totally over the top. It would be just as effective to weld in a new piece of metal and much cheaper.

I got two estimates to have a rusted rocker panel repaired, and they both told me that replacing the part is the only way to go. I was hoping that something like a fiberglass patch would suffice, but no dice. As pre98zetec said, the repair is usually worth more than the car.

the way i see it is 300 for the car now and by the time everything is repaired it will have cost about the same as buying a completely mint svt off the boards. but then again it is gonna be the dd so...

Back