• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sporadic start

Texas

New CEG'er
I have a 2000 SE V6 with 47,00 Original Miles. Over the past couple of months when starting the car it will turn over fine, but will not fire. This is sporadic so when this happens I will turn over the engine several times then wait for about 15 to 20 seconds and try again; it will start on the 2nd or 3rd time. :shrug: The car runs great otherwise. Mike

Connect a fuel pressure gauge to your fuel rail and see if the fuel pressure primes initially as it's supposed to (LISTEN for the 1-2 second priming cycle first).

Steve

Thanks Steve for the help, as I had mentioned the car has 47,000 mile due to my mother not driving the car. I got it with less the 34,000 on it a year ago and had to have the Transmission re-built soon after receiving the car from mom. The only other issue with the car is the dash curling up and from what I have read this is common, I just cut the dash off where it was curling up and applied some industrial glue to the remaining dash to hold it down and put a dash cover on it from eBay. The car is really nice other then the fore mentioned issues. I will take your advice and put a pressure gage on the rail, strange, but it has not done this for a couple of day now but it will again as it has in the past, so I want to find the problem as soon a possible. Thanks again Steve. Mike

Back