• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I love my Contour

jtour

CEG'er
I dont post much here but I do lurk around the forums and read up. I have owned my 99 LX contour since new. It has 110,000 miles on her and still going strong. I have to admit I was about to get rid of her last week but I just couldnt do it. It needed work but I decided to get her back into shape. I put on a new flex pipe cause it broke, 4 brand new Goodyear tires, New back suspension, trans flush and regular maintenace and a good wash. As I stood and looked I realized that it has been a great car. Its my daily winter car as my cobra sleeps during the winter but to tell you the truth I plan on keeping the contour til she really cant go on. I wish I had the cash to buy an SVT but the contour is a great car that still looks great in 2009!!! So I guess what I really want to say is step back and think of all the good and bad times you have had with your car.:laugh: Im sure many of you wouldnt trade it for the world.

I have ALOT of good memories and some bad with mine too, but now its time to only own 1 that I never drive:laugh:

Its like a rollercoaster ride with these things. Sometimes youre doing great with it, everything runs right. Then you blow a water pump, destroy a diff, the secondaries wont open, you have to change an alternator. Once all the cussing is out of the way and you drive the car again when its good, youre in loooove. Up and down, up and down, up and down.

Last edited:
I am at about 185K miles, bought it with 41K miles about 5.5 years ago. Still love it. Not really interested in another vehicle, even though there are some pretty sweet, fast cars I could afford. Guess I'm part of the lunatic fringe.:laugh:

OK, you got me there. :laugh:

But now that headers are on, it should be easier if I have to do it again. (crosses fingers, hope it won't happen.)

I tell you all. I have the slowest of slow contours and I can only imagine how much more fun I would have if I had gotten an SVT. Yeah, almost any and every car can smoke me but I enjoy the ride.

I tell you all. I have the slowest of slow contours and I can only imagine how much more fun I would have if I had gotten an SVT. Yeah, almost any and every car can smoke me but I enjoy the ride.

I would be just as happy with a 4cyl contour as long as it had an MTX. These cars are just plain fun to drive. European design for the win.

WHERE ARE OUR ST220's FORD?

well last year was the first time on the track for me and it was in my contour(my first car). Now im bound and determined to fix it up into a nice track whore and DD. I cant kill this thing(knock on wood).

its cool to see someone like their car that much. my Mystique was the first car that i took to the drag strip. i know when i first got the car, i wanted to keep it clean and all stock, but after a while i gave in and started to do some cheap mods and i grew to really like my car a lot. tons of bad memories from when i first got it, but now it's full of good ones (except for the accident i had at school in October where another car hit me) but to now have a car that's reliable and gets around 35 miles a gallon makes me really happy.

Don't worry, mine is slow too. Regardless though, i love the thing. Other seats just feel ridiculous to me after sitting in contour seats. With my new suspension i love the ride, love my obnoxious exhaust and all the other little things i have done to the car. I'll probably regret it down the road, but for now, I'm hooked.

So i had been driving my mom's 98 SE 4cyl auto tour for a couple months, but an issue with my grades ended that back in late october early november. I hadn't drvin the car much since then, usually only with her in it, never by myself or with my firends. Yesterday I got my first semester grades, and I had managed to pull my grades out of the fire and sneek by witha couple of D's in the classes I had failed first quarter. She was proud of me (for lack of better wording), so she let me have the tour to go out with my firends. We were hangin out at my one firends house, and his girlfriend was hosting a party for one of ehr guy firends at her house, but my firend (her boyfirend) wasn't invited. He was mad, sad, confused, tempted to break up, etc, etc. When anybody in the group is under a lot of stress, we all get in our own seperate cars and go for a nice long drive, that helps us relax and think about life. So me and him went out for a drive (he drives a 97 Grand Prix GT fyi), he started leading and we went through an infamous road in my town that everybody calls the S-curves because it is a bunch of quick left then right turns. After that i got in front of him and started leading. I took him through the back roads of the town I used to live in, and go us to this scenic road that is basically like the S-curves, only you cna hit them at like 60-70 and still be comfortable. We were cookin along for a little bit, but end up behind somebody doin like 45-50 (in a 30) so we had to slow down. After that we went to the highschool for that town, which is where I learned to drive. To get to the one parking lot we had to take an alley that runs down one side of the school. It has potholes and seed bumps, which my firend slowed down for, but I monster trucked them in the tour. Once I got out the other end and was in the big parking lot, I got on it, whipped it, then ripped the E. I got some pretty good doughnuts going, switched up a couple times, drifting and what not. My friend finally came out of the alley, to his suprise I was sideways in the contour. His ebrake is the foot kind, so he can't really rip it so he just sat there and watched me a for a couple minutes. We left and he went back to leading, he knew a kinda curvy road that took us back to our town, so we went on that. Our whole adventure took about and hour. He was grinning from ear to ear and fealt more relaxed when we got back. For me the adventure rekindled my love for the countour platform. I really want to find a Zetec with a 5speed now, then we could really have some fun. I just want people to know what made me love contours again.

Thanks, Connor

I very much like my contour and hope to be able to keep it till it won't roll and I hope that doesn't ever happen 95 Contour SE MTX :drool:

lol.

I remember you posting a lot in the old forums. Seemed like every thread.

LOL:laugh: So true, I was a addicted at first. Now I read and post very little now. I do wish I had gone with the manual trans, but the slush box will do for now. Treat the car well and it will return the favor.

Back