• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you use a rod shifted trans in a post 98?

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Doing research for when I eventually do a 3L swap and I'd definitely want to build up a rod shifted trans instead of a cable shifter if it'd work in a 2000 CSVT. Did a search didn't find anything on this really. I know that someone just put a 3L with a rod shifted trans in a 95...

If this is already covered please link me to it but if not some suggestions would be great.

I don't think that it's really one of those retro fit type things

Hmmm... looks like you'd want a junked donor car to do it easily which is honestly not a big deal given that a junked 95 contour with a salvagable mtx/assembly could probably be gotten for free or close to it.

I just don't like cable shifters...

while i much preferred the feel and overall drivability of my old 97s rod shifter, i much prefer having a true short shifter.

Knowing what I have read here on CEG, the rod shift trans is much more reliable. The swap from cable to rod wouldn't be that bad because all the rod linkage is under the car in the "tunnel". The post97 cables go through the firewall and have bushings that wear out. I think going from rod to cable would be a nightmare.
Too bad I just sent a '95 MTX to the crusher that still had those parts in it :cry:..... I do agree the cable shift is a much smoother feel, but I like the direct feel of the rod shift.

Not having a short shifter sucks in my '95, but who cares. Short shifters are over rated for a car you can't slam gears in anyway without a built trans so you will just be trashing the syncros, diff, cable bushings, and shift tower bolts :shrug:.

Start looking for a pre98 v6 MTX at the junk yard, and get swapping!. There should be more pre98 trans' available anyway because most of the 98-00s have the diff blow out the side and trash the trans case..... good luck

I have a short shifter right now in my cable shifted car. I also know there are short shifters out there for rod shifted cars such as the SHOrt throw for the SHO(obviously) that work fine.

This swap is a ways off in the future when(if) I ever do a 3L but I'd like to incorporate a built rod shifted trans. Honestly I hate the way a cable shifter feels, too disconnected from the rest of the car.

a short shifter could be fabricated for the rod shift trans. just cut out a riser plate and then cut and extend the lower portion of the shift lever the same distance as the thickness of riser plate. its not complicated but most people on here dont have the tools or abilities to do so.

Lol, even if I was doing it now that'd be way too far to go. I'm going to wait at least 2 years provided the drivetrain in there now holds up and it feels good right now(knocks on wood). When I have a place with a big garage, room to work and the proper tools of my own to do this then I'll seriously start buying parts. Although knowing me if I spend the money to have a rod shifted trans properly built I'll probably wind up totally rebuilding the 3L as well so this will likely take a looooong time.

Besides I just finished up a full blown engine/drivetrain upgrade in my Cobra last summer, I want to just enjoy driving these cars for abit...

Back