• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Odd ignition switch problem

maddog440

CEG'er
Wife's '95 SE ATX drains the battery (~0.36A) when sitting. With the key out of the ignition and doors open, the buzzer chimes like the keys were left in the igntion. Close the door, the chiming goes away, but the drain continues. Also, the key can be pulled out of the ignition switch in the run position and the car will keep running. So, I did the seemingly obvious and changed the ignition switch...results...same power drain and chiming with the new switch. Also, with the battery connected, I cannot remove the key from the new switch. If I pull off a battery cable, I can remove the key, but only at the off position as it should.

I'm kinda at a loss. Any ideas?

I love being able to remove the key while running! Safer to leave the car to warm up during this time of year! Do you know it is the ignition switch? Have you had a multimeter hooked up while pulling fuses to isolate the draw?

I have not pulled fuses to isolate the circuit. I will do so probably tonight. I know it is not in the ignition switch itself, as I have replaced it. On this car though, the ignition switch does not complete any electrical circuits. In other words, it's basically just a mechanical lock that interfaces with another switching mechanism which appears to be integrated in the steering column and not easily removable. Replacing that did nothing except make it so I cannot get the key out at all unless I disconnect power.

OK this is a good one. Turns out a penny had somehow made it's way down under the shifter. It wedged itself way down under the shift lever, not quite allowing the shifter to move fully into the "park" position. The transmission would go into park, but the lever wouldn't move forward quite enough to activate the switch that kills the chiming. After an hour finding the problem and 15 mins of fishing around with a screwdriver with blue poster sticky stuff on the end and the penny was removed and everything is back to normal.

Back