• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How much is this worth?

drummer3462

New CEG'er
Being on a tight budget in college i have found a great bang for the buck deal. Guy who lives a few doors down for me is selling an Autotek system. Great products from an unknown company. Included is:
Autotek sx2300 amp.... Brand new 279.99
2- 12" Autotek SS1244E Subwoofers... Brand new 109.99 each
All the wiring is included.

Brand new thats around $480+ the wiring. Guy says he wants to get $450 out of it but we all know how that goes. How much does this kinda of equipment depreciate? $325-350? worth it?

Are they just sitting around and he hasn't used them? Or is upgrading and using them right now? I'd do some research first on the brand as I've only heard of the name before, not the performance. But I'm sure someone will buzz in with their knowledge.

BTW, I spent $350 for both subs and amp(including wiring), so the price range is decent.

Did you not read anything I wrote in your last post about building a system? First off, most audio equiptment depreciates quite a bit as soon as it's been used. If he's asking 450.00 for used equiptment that could have been bought new for 480 then he's smoking some serious crack. If you are planning on spending 350-450 dollars on a sub/amp combo and you're willing to buy used, there are some great deals to be had. I certainly wouldn't spend it on his setup!!! Are you looking for SQ or SPL?

yea i read your post and some of the planned money incoming is not going to work out. I have 300 tops now to spend on a sub and amp combo :[

yea i read your post and some of the planned money incoming is not going to work out. I have 300 tops now to spend on a sub and amp combo :[

Are you willing to buy used equiptment? If so, ebay is a fantastic source. Again, are you looking for SQ or SPL? What kind of music do you listen to?

Might want to consider these. Better specs than those autoteks and also very efficient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JL-AUDIO-BRAN...0QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39776QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's an amp that would work very well with them and I bet you can get it pretty cheap. Sedona was part of PPI's line back in the day when they were making some of the worlds best amps. They didn't really hold value well like PPI's art series did because I don't think many people knew about them. They certainly are very good amps and definitely much better than alot of the crap that's being sold these days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Power...ryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
X2 on the Seona series. I had one for my MB quarts in my old RX-7, but sold it w/ the car.:mad: :confused: :help: . Ooooppps. Quality amp, and it should last a good long time.

While your at it I'll sell you my car for $20K, its only got 94,000 miles on it and a sticker price of $24k, thats a hell of a deal right?? Car audio depreciates fairly rapidly, especially the non-name brand stuff. Even if the stuff is in good condition I think the $300 you have right now would be a fair offer.

Nope, I haven't really had time to list it anywhere else. And Im always driving it so its not like I can leave it somewhere with a for sale sign on it. I pick up my new car over x-mas so once I'm done driving the SVT I'll list it elsewhere unless I sell it on CEG. It just sucks because only CEG'rs are going to know what a DMD/batbar is etc..

auto tek stuff is allright if you dont mind horibly dirty power. i also recomend going with jl subs. the w1's are super effective daily bangers. ive personally installed them(2-12's) in a tauras with a 250/1. it was surprising! and remember with jl the slotport box is your best friend. one 15w1v2 and a solid 200 watts in a slot port will rock your world and the dudes who wants to sell you that autotek crap. there is a ton to be said for quality over quanity in car audio.

have u ever heard the autotek stuff that im talking about? u sound biased in your opinion.. again i dont have the money for jl... tell me where for $350 i can get 2 12's and an amp that is this good of quality? there only rated at 500 rms... some of the sony's i see are 1300+ now that is what u call quantity over quality.

have u ever heard the autotek stuff that im talking about? u sound biased in your opinion.. again i dont have the money for jl... tell me where for $350 i can get 2 12's and an amp that is this good of quality? there only rated at 500 rms... some of the sony's i see are 1300+ now that is what u call quantity over quality.

I guess you didn't read my last post. That Sedona amp sold for like $35.00. That's almost comical that an amp of that quality would sell for so little. If you check the other link that I previously posted, you can get 2 JL 12 W1's for 200.00 shipped. So lets see, that's 200.00 for the subs, and about 50.00 for the amp shipped. Now add about 75.00 for a decent sub enclosure & about 30.00 for an amp install kit. Hmmmm.... that's 355.00 for a pretty nice setup and I would bet my left testicle that it would sound better than the setup your friend is selling.

best bang for the buck is the dual bandpass box that comes with two 12"
right after thanksgiving last year i got them, bad@$$ box with two 12" rated at 600watts rms 1100 peak and i got a 460watt amp included, i got all that for 129.99, that system pounds and if u upgrade the amp, even better, i saw that best buy had the same deal again this year, but that sale has already passed, i'm not sure if you can wait agian till next year, but it really is the best bang for your buck

best bang for the buck is the dual bandpass box that comes with two 12"
right after thanksgiving last year i got them, bad@$$ box with two 12" rated at 600watts rms 1100 peak and i got a 460watt amp included, i got all that for 129.99, that system pounds and if u upgrade the amp, even better, i saw that best buy had the same deal again this year, but that sale has already passed, i'm not sure if you can wait agian till next year, but it really is the best bang for your buck

Please tell me you're joking?????? Forget it, I'm not even going to bother because I don't know where to begin.

I work in the car audio dept at my local best buy and the dual bandpass 12's and dual amp are crappy!

Get one good sub and one good amp. Not all car audio depreciates horribly. Check out the prices on JL amps. A used 500/1 will still fetch around $300 used.

A good cheap best buy system would be an infiniti 12 for $94 and a alpine M450 400x1 at 2ohms for $105 open box. make your own box, and buy a cheap amp kit.

i agree with randy. i've always been a single sub fan, whether its 10 12 or 15. buy a single quality sub and feed it the correct amount of power and save space too. dual bandpass? holy big box batman. if 10 isnt enough, get a 12, if 12 isnt enough get a 15.

i agree with vinny about his setup that he proposed.

Last edited:
i don't think that I would ever use a band pass box now ... it makes it loud but not clear ... in my mystique I have 2 12's in a sealed box, now that is loud and hits decent ... not the best sound quality ...

in my contour I have one 12 in a sealed box, since this was more about sound quality it fills in the low end great and is clean and crisp ... sure it can't be heard up the street but in the car it sounds great and I can still use the trunk ...

Back