• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake squeek

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
On my drivers rear brake it squeaks on every rotation. It has a darker color where it is happening on the rotor. When I apply the brakes it stops. Any thoughts? The rotors were just turned and the pads are good in the back...or they look good

On my drivers rear brake it squeaks on every rotation. It has a darker color where it is happening on the rotor. When I apply the brakes it stops. Any thoughts? The rotors were just turned and the pads are good in the back...or they look good
Looks can be deceiving. Chances are the rotor is not true/flat. This could be due to improper torque of the lug nuts or improper installation of the rotor or maybe even the lathe not being in good conditon when the rotor was turned. Incidentally, did you not have a spindle problem or a knuckle or hub being loose or something like that? Need to take care of that too. It might be related.

Well I thought the hub and spindle was the problem but the new one did the same thing to it. The rotor has a little wobble to it but the otherside does too and it does not have the squeaking. I guess I can get the rotor turned again if you think that is the prob.

Think of it like a bicycle wheel. If it is not aligned properly, you can see the rim touching the rubber brake pads on each rotation. With your brakes, it is the same. If the rotor is not true, then you could be having the same problem.

You could have "brake glaze". Its the #1 problem besides brake squeal. The pads are vibrating if you dont have any anitrattle clips creating a squealing noise.

And if you get them turned again they are going to be even thinner. Just get new rotors. The only rotors I turn are my monster Baer rotors due to the high cost and the large amount of material.

Well I thought the hub and spindle was the problem but the new one did the same thing to it. The rotor has a little wobble to it but the otherside does too and it does not have the squeaking. I guess I can get the rotor turned again if you think that is the prob.

If you are going to turn these again, just see if a 0.005" fine cut will clean them up and then switch pads. That was a major PITA issue I was having before I went to the bendix Titaniums. I finally had to turn them AGAIN on my second set and just switch to better pad. Stock pads or Bendix were the best I used.

Back