• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Guess what I picked up

It's a CSVT no matter how many nice,new, shiny parts you throw at it...it will always be pissing and moaning for more. Just put a cat eliminator on there, no more annoying noises.

Well, I gutted the third cat with almost no difference in sound. Ordered my wheels, I should have them by weds. Brakes are done. Bike chain noise still there. Maybe its cause I have all my plastic engine covers off still. I dont know. Just seems loud to me. Maybe I'll remove the pan at the next oil change to see if I see anything. Here's a pic of my front timing chain stuff. Anyone see anything out of place? Maybe the tensioners too tight.

PICT4766.jpg

PICT4763.jpg

Well, I gutted the third cat with almost no difference in sound. Ordered my wheels, I should have them by weds. Brakes are done. Bike chain noise still there. Maybe its cause I have all my plastic engine covers off still. I dont know. Just seems loud to me. Maybe I'll remove the pan at the next oil change to see if I see anything. Here's a pic of my front timing chain stuff. Anyone see anything out of place? Maybe the tensioners too tight.

PICT4766.jpg

Hey Matt,
I don't recognize that chain guide on the far right in the pic looking like that. Is the stock one black? Did you get new or reuse?

I believe the black one is a 3l guide while the rest are 2.5l guides. Not sure about mixing them but many have used 3l guides and tensoners wirhe the 2.5l chains.

Yes it was. Pulse wheel won't effect anything. They're all the same more or less. So you used SVT guides and tensioners?

I believe the black one is a 3l guide while the rest are 2.5l guides. Not sure about mixing them but many have used 3l guides and tensoners wirhe the 2.5l chains.

I know people have used tensioners from a 3L but didn't know you could use 3L guides. Aren't the 3L guides narrower than the 2.5's?

I used the best of both sets. I compared the 2 sets. They looked the same in every way even casting numbers were the same....everyway that is, but the width. :nonono: That I didnt check.

But at least my wheels came. I would have liked a few more spokes but it'll do. I'll be out of town the next 4 days on buisness so I wont be able to install them till sometime next week :(
78bef16da425__1244658471000.jpg

Yes they are. Made for the thin 3L chains.

YAY! I know what I'll be doing next weekend! Or maybe they'll just wear in LOL.

I just went to the garage and took another look at the the guides. The cast (metal) part might be the same but the plastic guides are whats different. No biggy, I'll order the guides (old SVT ones pitted) and tear it down next weekend. Live and learn.

I was looking though a few pics and found this one. It looks like the chain fits in the guide...but its it a tight fit is the question. I wont be able to answer that till the oil pan or valve cover is removed.

PICT4700.jpg

Well I was tired of the noise coming from the engine. I ran it with out the belt and still made the same noise a rusty bike chain. I tore the front of the engine down. I found nothing!!:mad: The 3.0 and the 2.5 guides are the same. Even in width. The chains are the same width. I still used the 2.5 chains. The guides all still look like new. The chains were nice and tight. I just cant figure out what the noise was. I even took the oil pump apart to see if the was a problem with that. Nothing. I hate to put the damn thing back together ans still have the same noise.

Are you positive its coming from the chains? I've heard belts sound like grinding bearings. Are they getting oiled properly? Valvetrain clatter? bad HLA's? Bad water pump transmitting noise throughout the motor? I dunno just throwing a monkey wrench into the mix.

Every thing looks well oiled. The last time I removed the valve cover I turned the engine over enough to build pressure.
I saw 2 questionable things:
1. The crankpulley might have not been on all the way.
2. The rear chain might have been too tight. I remember the first time that chain felt loose after pulling the pin out of the tensioner so I gave it a push with my finger and got another click out of it.

I'll find out today if anything changed. If not screw it. I'll have fun with it till it blows up....my luck it'll never blow up but noise will get louder.

Thats the reason I waited 700 miles to tear it back down. I figured that what ever was wearing would be easy to see after that many miles.

GOOD NEWS!!! No more noise!!!!
How or why? Dont know. Must have been one of the above problems.

This time around I used the 3.0 one piece crank sprocket and pulse wheel. The sprockets looked to have the same tooth pitch so I went with it. My thoughts are that since my engine was "rebuilt" by ford in 2004 they must have used newer valvetrain components. Leave it up to Ford to mismatch parts. We all know its been done before. The question is, what was that noise, will it ever come back. Only time will tell.

While the car was up I did change my thermostat. When I bought my first one from autozone I wasnt paying attention and was given a 192 degree one. Thats just way too hot. The stock one was a 188. I tossed in a 160.

The rest of the car has been doing fine. No MILs so that good. I average about 21-22 mpg. Clutch and trans feel nice thanks to Terry! No shakes, vibs or squeaks. The only thing I did notice is a rough idle at times. I'm not sure if its due to needing a tune, bad alternator (new one from Napa was pulsing my lights), or just vibs I'm feeling from the filled motor mounts. I'll leave it for now since I have no way of tuning it for now. At my price the tuner and dyno runs were about $700.00. I've spent way too much on this project so far so that will have to wait till the bank account builds up again.

Glad it is ok. Working the bugs out is sometimes harder than the actual swap.... did you ever get that sideskirt on?

Back