• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Music - Engine - Battery

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Folks, when I sit in my car with my sweetheart and listen to music, watching the ocean, I let the engine run, cause the last thing one needs to end a nice day is being stranded with an empty battery.

So I was wondering, how long can I keep the engine running while standing, w/out actually "hurting" the car? Or, how long can I keep the music on, without emptying the battery.

Thanks indeed.

Stock audio - five-10 hours on the battery at low make-out volume (with a GOOD battery). Figure a 1.5A draw. Leave the parking lights off.

Folks, when I sit in my car with my sweetheart and listen to music, watching the ocean, I let the engine run, cause the last thing one needs to end a nice day is being stranded with an empty battery.

So I was wondering, how long can I keep the engine running while standing, w/out actually "hurting" the car? Or, how long can I keep the music on, without emptying the battery.

Thanks indeed.

I have listened to my competition level sound quality system at moderately loud volumes for more than 3 hours straight many times with no ill-effects. I do have an Optima yellow top though, which does not mind such abuse.

Back