• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moonroof motor died AGAIN!

ValCor

CEG'er
I love my CSVT but one thing about it really SUX! My third moonroof motor died due to the cheapo plastic drive gear that melts in the summer heat. Groan! I don't know if I will buy another one. In the 10 years I have owned the car, Webasto has not imporved the motor at all. I'm very disappointed.

I love my CSVT but one thing about it really SUX! My third moonroof motor died due to the cheapo plastic drive gear that melts in the summer heat. Groan! I don't know if I will buy another one. In the 10 years I have owned the car, Webasto has not imporved the motor at all. I'm very disappointed.
You can just replace the gear you know :) Someone even got some replacement gears from webasto for free IIRC.
You may also need to lube the rails to reduce the friction. I replaced my gear 3 years ago and haven't had a problem.

Replacement gear?

Replacement gear?

I bought a replacement gear a few years back from a guy in Florida. It lasted all of about three seconds. He gave me my money back. Where can I find a replacement gear that works?

I bought a replacement gear a few years back from a guy in Florida. It lasted all of about three seconds. He gave me my money back. Where can I find a replacement gear that works?
I got mine from either sunroofgears.com or odometergears.com can't remember which now. I didn't have the motor set in the right spot when I reinstalled it and stripped one and they sent me another for free, even after I told them I thought it was my own fault. It sounds to me like you need to check and lube your track to reduce the load on the gear before you install a new one.

I got mine from either sunroofgears.com or odometergears.com can't remember which now. I didn't have the motor set in the right spot when I reinstalled it and stripped one and they sent me another for free, even after I told them I thought it was my own fault. It sounds to me like you need to check and lube your track to reduce the load on the gear before you install a new one.

My rails are fine. The Go**amned gear melted in the summer heat. I'll try sunroof gears and that other place to see what's shakin'. Thanks!

I emailed the sunroofgears.com folks. They say their product works and has a lifetime warranty. Hmmmm........

I did find new motors at rockauto.com for around 200 bucks. But, 55 for a new gear is much more appealing, if it indeed works. Decisions decisions......

In my case, it is the summer heat that softens or "melts" the gear in its resting position. My gears didn't strip in the true sense of the word. Looking at the gear you can readily see the soft melted spot. It always happens to me after a heat wave; 100 plus temps for three to five consecutive days. I have not tried turning the gear over and reinstalling it. I may give that a go. Right now the roof will open and close with a little help from my hand, but it will not tilt up at all. My tracks are grime free and the window slides easily enouigh.

Thanks all!

You can pick up a new motor at a junk yard for cheap. You can even go on the half off days to save a bit more. I have a sunroofgears.com gear, the first didnt last too long. They did sent me another one no questions asked, although i was at the yard one day so I got a new motor and put the gear in the motor and it held up fine. I crashed my car a while back so i cant tell you how long it'll hold up but I had it for like 3 months and it worked great. I almost got her running again so i'll you know how its held up.

It helps to lube the moonroof sliding channels - less stress on the motor/gears.

I just replaced my motor and it worked immediately, but was still slow, so I used a garage door type spray and it works great now. WD-40 will work but won't last. Try to use a silicone spray.

It helps to lube the moonroof sliding channels - less stress on the motor/gears.

I just replaced my motor and it worked immediately, but was still slow, so I used a garage door type spray and it works great now. WD-40 will work but won't last. Try to use a silicone spray.

Thanks for the tip. HOwever, the gear MELTED and did not strip! My roof opens and closes very nicely. For the time being I am using my hand to push it past the melted spot when I open and close it. No amount of lubing the track is gonna help when THE GEAR IS MELTED! A stripped gear will have broken teeth. My teeth are MELTED! MELTED MELTED MELTED MELTED! Whew! Every time my motor "died" was during a summer heat wave. My ride has never been garaged or carported, thank you very much. MELTED!

thanks For The Tip. However, The Gear Melted And Did Not Strip! My Roof Opens And Closes Very Nicely. For The Time Being I Am Using My Hand To Push It Past The Melted Spot When I Open And Close It. No Amount Of Lubing The Track Is Gonna Help When The Gear Is Melted! A Stripped Gear Will Have Broken Teeth. My Teeth Are Melted! Melted Melted Melted Melted! Whew! Every Time My Motor "died" Was During A Summer Heat Wave. My Ride Has Never Been Garaged Or Carported, Thank You Very Much. Melted!

Thats The Reason I Never Replaced My Sunroof Gear For The Heat Mine Was Melted Twice Too. I Know What You Feel.

Lol, so basically you can't use the sunroof when its hot because the gear melting. Only when its cold out haha. Thanks Ford...or maybe the folks at ITT who assembled it :nonono:

Back