• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

suspension question

can anyone list the major parts that need replaced at around 100k? my car shakes kinda funny at about 20-25 mph and excessively at around 65-70. one of my buddys told me his svt goes through bushings and wheel bearings like its its job. i cant wait to get all the back maintnence done on this thing so i can start with the cool ****. thanks.

can anyone list the major parts that need replaced at around 100k? my car shakes kinda funny at about 20-25 mph and excessively at around 65-70. one of my buddys told me his svt goes through bushings and wheel bearings like its its job. i cant wait to get all the back maintnence done on this thing so i can start with the cool ****. thanks.

Check your rotors and make sure they are not warped
Check your tires to make sure the sidewalls are not weak and vibrating at high speeds

Do not buy sumitomo 205/40/17 series tires as their sidewalls burn up on long trips (that solved my vibration issues at high speeds)

I have never done my busings/wheel bearings/LCA's/Tie Rods/ ETC and my car has 158k on it. Drives like a champ. No banging, vibrating, wierd noises. Of course I may just be lucky.

shaking around 60 mph is usually just your wheel balance is out. Go get them rebalanced. When they do that they should be able to tell you if anything else is loose or damaged.

I would recommend LCA's, wheel bearings (if they're even bad, i've never heard of tours going through wheel bearings), tie rod ends, and you might as well lower it while you're at it with struts and springs.

My SVT has gone through four wheel bearings this year. This was due to wreck though. Bad wheel bearings can cause the shakes, but there is always some sort of noise that goes along with them failing. Shaking at speed is usuall an indicator of bad ball joints/tie rod ends. Bad LCA's usually are indicated by wheelhop even at slight throttle. You can do the 12/6 o'clock test for bad ball joints and the 3/9 o'clock test for bad tie rod ends. If you get excessive movement in all directions, it is a possibility the wheel bearings are going bad. Listen for sounds that sound like a roller skate wheel accross pavement.

Back