• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gauge needle color

im assuming that when my tour was new the needles were brighter orange than they are now, maybe not i dunno. any way does anyone make a dye or paint that would make them really bright orange or red maybe. they just look dull to me. also are the se and svt gauge clusters interchangable? plugs/screw in points/size. all that stuff. thanks.

im assuming that when my tour was new the needles were brighter orange than they are now, maybe not i dunno. any way does anyone make a dye or paint that would make them really bright orange or red maybe. they just look dull to me. also are the se and svt gauge clusters interchangable? plugs/screw in points/size. all that stuff. thanks.

SVT guages are interchangeable depending on the year ... there are two types the E0 and E1 ... so it you have a early 98 you need the E0 guages ... you can make it work in a pre98 with some modification ...

it's a 98 se atx
In that case, the color on your needle is painted on to the thin flat bottom edge of the needle. The needle itself is whitish. Scraping that paint off and replacing it with some translucent vinyl is do-able, but when messing around with my custom gauge face build it returned so-so results. Probably the best way to brighten up your needle is to replace the bulb that lights it with a brighter or colored bulb.

If you want to get SVT gauges, they must be from a 1998 model only. 98.5-00 gauges will not work.

If you want to change the color of your needles, use a Sharpie marker.

DSC00376.jpg

w00t for whoring my gauges lol! I only sharpied the top, but I think I'm gonna do the sides too b/c from the side, it's clear and looks funny. I was afraid of sanding off the bottom white strip, sanding too much, and reducing the weight of the needle, causing some miscalibration, which probably would have been negligible anyway.

w00t for whoring my gauges lol! I only sharpied the top, but I think I'm gonna do the sides too b/c from the side, it's clear and looks funny. I was afraid of sanding off the bottom white strip, sanding too much, and reducing the weight of the needle, causing some miscalibration, which probably would have been negligible anyway.
Must......get......Modeo......trim.......rings......

Heres mine, I sanded off the existing paint on the back and brushed on red crafting paint, I also have red leds behind the cluster
DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

wow i haddnt checked this in a while but thanks for the responces. question for the guys that used the sharpie method. did you use red or orange?

Back