• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brakes grinding after suspension work

Paul99SE

CEG'er
Over the past week I've been replacing suspension/steering components on the Contour. I finally finished everything up Friday, took it for a test drive and now the front brakes are grinding really bad. It feels like the driver side. It sounds like a metal on metal sound but the pads and rotors look fine and they're only about a year old. Also there were no grinding issues before I started all the suspension work. The pedal has to be pushed down pretty hard to get the car to stop. Any ideas?

did you take the brakes apart in any of the work that you did? did the pads come out of the caliper? it could be one was installed backwards.

is teh axle nut tight? is the caliper bracket/slide pins tight? is teh retaining spring in place?

All I did was unbolt the brakes from the knuckle and set them aside. I made sure the pads were in the correct position when I reinstalled. The axle nut is tight. The only thing I noticed when troubleshooting the problem was that there was no retaining spring that connects to the outside of the caliper on the driver side. So I went to autozone and picked up a spring and installed it but that didn't help the problem at all.

Back