• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What could I use to replace...

I used a neon yellow lego space edition saucer with a pop rivit through it. You can buy the oem replacements at NAPA, and don't let them tell you they don't have them, because they do. It is under the wrong catagory if they do a regular search....

I used a neon yellow lego space edition saucer with a pop rivit through it. You can buy the oem replacements at NAPA, and don't let them tell you they don't have them, because they do. It is under the wrong catagory if they do a regular search....

If I could see what you're talking about, i could give you a part number.

I actually did use a snap, the large outside part of a heavy duty snap, not the inside half with the spud. I used gold as it matched my MNB interior better than a silver one. It keep the seat belt from sliding down perfectly. I can post a pic if desired.

Front and Back-side pics.

I did it in this fashion: the big button snap cap faces OUT as it hangs unused. That way, I thought, I could clandestinely snap something behind the seat belt, such as a small knife in a black ballistic-nylon sheath. You'd never see it hanging there. Plus, when you stretch the seat belt across the lap, on mine that button ends up right about mid-lap where my belt buckle is, backside (snap-side) facing out so whatever it was secured there would be facing out, readily accessible. A good knife to slit the seatbelt in case of accident is a great idea....

View attachment 3744

View attachment 3745

View attachment 3746

Any craft or hardware store has bulk snaps (gold, silver or you can get "Levi's" bronzed branded ones or ones that look like the end of a Colt .45), and the pliers used to crush the backside and split it into that star-pattern. A million and one uses from (actually) repairing clothes, to boat straps, etc. It's very simple, and the set of snaps and pliers is ~$10. A handy-man garage-must-have.

By wiggling a little, I was able to get the snap stud to fit thru the same hole as the original plastic goober.

I could clandestinely snap something behind the seat belt, such as a small knife in a black ballistic-nylon sheath. You'd never see it hanging there.

You might be related to my husband - he's always looking for places to hide knives and guns! He'll probably want to do this to my car in case I can't reach my .45 in my purse! :laugh:

Plus, when you stretch the seat belt across the lap, on mine that button ends up right about mid-lap where my belt buckle is, backside (snap-side) facing out so whatever it was secured there would be facing out, readily accessible.

Make sure you know your local concealed carry laws. In some states that might qualify as a concealed weapon. If you get pulled over make sure you tell the officer immediately that it's there - better that they know than see it and think you're a threat. If you have a CCW that's awesome - if you don't have one you should get one (even if you don't carry a knife there :cool: ).

An emergency seat belt cutter can be used as a weapon, even though is might not be classified as one - they usually have little pointy hammers on one end to break windows (or heads).

Heres what I did. Go to someplace like jo ann fabrics. They sell the metal buttons , like on the front of your jeans. Onee side is like a tack, the other is the button.
Very simple to push the tac thru the belt and push on the button. It locks on to the button. It will never come off on its own.
Brian.................

They sell the metal buttons , like on the front of your jeans.

If you want to impress the cute chick working the fabric counter at JoAnns or any of those stores, it's called a "Batchelor's Button" and yes, is the longer stud type like on Levi's or decent jeans. Sticks out a little far for my preference in this application. But that small bit of knowledge may get you a date from a cutie working in a fabric shop .....

Or get you slapped if you ask her to show you how it works .....

Back