• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my roush cougar clone (almost)

iceberg65

CEG'er
hey guys I just realized I haven't posted any pictures of my cougar besides in the new member section. So I thought I might as well share the fruits of my labour so far. This is after roughly a year of modding the car.

mods include:
(visual)
full roush lip kit (including spoiler and foglight covers)
roush decals
roush floormats
18" BSA motorsport rims
tinted tails + 3rd brake light
tinted sidemarkers
tinted headlight reflectors
angel eyes
8000k VVME HID's
added factory fogs.
painted contour valve cover
topshop CF mirror caps
limo tinted back 3 windows.
(performance)
short ram intake
Focussport UDP
intrax front springs
roush rear springs
st200 struts.
(audio)
energy 5.25" components
infinity reference 5X7's
2 12" MTX MXS 1204's
Phoenix gold Xenon 600.1
Rockford fosgate P200.2
JVC dvd headunit

(in mail and awaiting install)
2.5" exhaust with flowmaster muffler
roush 21mm rear sway bar

unfortunatly due to weather (parked it for winter) this is the only picture I have with the lowering and it only shows the front springs installed. Not everything ive done is pictured these are just the most recent I have. I will give a quick description outlining the changes between pic's
DSC00309.jpg

This pic shows the intrax springs installed with ST200 struts, Since this pic I got my roush rear springs and st200 struts installed in the rear resulting in a 1.6" drop in the front and 1" drop in the rear.

DSC00300-2.jpg

I have put a contour valve cover on as well and painted it red to match the car. (sorry about the disconnected plug wires and Crankcase breather in pic)

the following pics are without the springs installed but with the BSA motorsport 18's. I liked the look of bronze and red but didnt find the bright bronze look to my liking so I went with a dark more subtle bronze. I will be painting the current brighter wiper blades to match the rims over the winter. Plus I installed a set of OEM fog's with roush paintmatched covers, and 8000k HID's.
DSC00135cropped-1.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

looks sweet. but i must be harsh. my brother has a 99 zetec cougar....... slowest car i have ever driven.

Did you guys ever hear the story of the I4 automatic Cougars? About 3200 were built before Ford pulled the plug on both the car and the program manager...

Did you guys ever hear the story of the I4 automatic Cougars? About 3200 were built before Ford pulled the plug on both the car and the program manager...

The Cougar forums estimate only about 500 ATX Zetecs were built. I've known of about 4 since I bought mine in 2002. I've seen only 2 in person.

My friend Aaron used to have one. It ran a best 1/4 mile time of 19.1

The stock internals of the trans should be ok for my power goals. Based on what I've read a turbo running around 10psi on stock internals is safe with a good tune. and as long as everything is built solidly that should be good for around 210-235 whp. Which shouldn't be too bad. The internals are said to be ok up to about 250-275 hp. when I do get around to this I am prepared to replace the clutch and get some trans work done as well.
I expect to start looking into some turbo parts after college is done when winter ends. At that time I will be selling the probe I'm driving for the winter which should put about $1500 in my hand to start with. I would be happy with a 200 hp build on stock internals tho. If I want to go really fast I can get the mustang going again. (72 mach 1 with built cleveland) I think I'm addicted to cornering for now tho.

yes its not a fast car, but it is a responsive engine with good low end power. My brother who has driven nothing but V8's even admited that its fairly quick. And its definatly not the slowest car ive driven.

I started with cosmetic mods cause they were pretty cheap and easy to do. Now its time for performance. the suspension is gonna be pretty solid by the time I pull it out for the spring.
*oh and lets just not talk about the atx zetec's :rolleyes:*

If it's an ATX, you'd be very surprised at what this transmission can't do:laugh:

Otherwise, very clean and tasteful car/ mod list; I like it alot. Have you considered 15mm wheel spacers from H+R?:drool:

The stock internals of the trans should be ok for my power goals. Based on what I've read a turbo running around 10psi on stock internals is safe with a good tune. and as long as everything is built solidly that should be good for around 210-235 whp. Which shouldn't be too bad. The internals are said to be ok up to about 250-275 hp. when I do get around to this I am prepared to replace the clutch and get some trans work done as well.
I expect to start looking into some turbo parts after college is done when winter ends. At that time I will be selling the probe I'm driving for the winter which should put about $1500 in my hand to start with. I would be happy with a 200 hp build on stock internals tho. If I want to go really fast I can get the mustang going again. (72 mach 1 with built cleveland) I think I'm addicted to cornering for now tho.

yes its not a fast car, but it is a responsive engine with good low end power. My brother who has driven nothing but V8's even admited that its fairly quick. And its definatly not the slowest car ive driven.

I started with cosmetic mods cause they were pretty cheap and easy to do. Now its time for performance. the suspension is gonna be pretty solid by the time I pull it out for the spring.
*oh and lets just not talk about the atx zetec's :rolleyes:*

Best of luck with the goal. I just foresee that turbo blowing your atx up. Car looks great otherwise.

Wow, Roush springs! Where in the world did you find those in this day and age? Must've been one bona fide bad:censored::censored::censored: :ponder::laugh:

How they workin out for ya?

Best of luck with the goal. I just foresee that turbo blowing your atx up. Car looks great otherwise.
dont know what gave you the idea it was an atx people just mentioned that there were only 500 atx zetec cougars built. mine has the mtx 75.

and as for the springs: ya I got them off a pretty sweet CEG member. took a while to get em shipped due to some location issues but it was worth the wait! arrived in great shape and I got em installed in about 2.5h.
(for the other members I bought the roush rears off rollinstylee)

lol if you had a Roush clone that was an atx that would be hell of a rare car. Funny how everyone thought it was an atx.

Pretty good mix you got tho, Mustang and a Roush clone :drool:

Back