• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

serpentine belt replacement

frozone

New CEG'er
I want to replace the serpentine belt on my 99 mistique, how does one relieve the tensioner pressure to do so? I can not see how to grasp it to loosen. the ford factory manual is worthless for doing this.
Thanks

Bill

tensioner is under the alternator.

grab a closed end 14 mm wrench, put it on the bolt of the tensioner and pull upwards. That releases the pressure on the belt/moves the tensioner itself and you can take the belt off. Easy as pie

Alex, thanks for the info, I was looking for a spot to insert a pry bar in to pull, did not think of using bolt.

Bill

make your life easier and use the bold, you can damage something else while you pry it off.

IF you pry it(as a result of a faulty tensioner spring).....pry it anywhere but close to the tensioner. Any lateral force on the tensioner itself will result in the tensioner assy to break.

I think it's easier to get to the tensioner from the wheel well. Take off the wheel and splash guard, and reach in with the wrench (I thought it was a 13mm though, but I could be mistaken.)

zorrex is right

zorrex is right

It is a 13mm or 1/2 inch ( they are so close either will work and you might find a wider selection in 1/2 inch) , get the longest one you can, the tensioner is pretty stiff. If I remember correctly you will push on the wrench (clock wise) and then with the free hand roll the belt off of the crank pulley.

Last edited:
it is indeed a 13mm. you will want to rotate it clockwise (like your trying to tighten the bolt). if you cant find a really long wrench i have always put another wrench on the end of the 13mm.

Back