• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Eerie Quiet? Not for me, blinding light instead

AlexCCCP

CEG'er
Seems pretty quiet around here these days, so I thought i'd make a thread. Couple of days ago, Check Engine lit up... and stayed lit! First issue with my now 6mnth old Contour (6 months for just me clearly).

So Come Monday morning ill be off to the mechanic to get her checked out, everything seems to be running and working fine... so im thinking O2 sensor, but I dont know squat, so before I find out who wants to lay bets on this asymptomatic light. As I said all works and runs fine, no odd noises either.

Seems pretty quiet around here these days, so I thought i'd make a thread. Couple of days ago, Check Engine lit up... and stayed lit! First issue with my now 6mnth old Contour (6 months for just me clearly).

So Come Monday morning ill be off to the mechanic to get her checked out, everything seems to be running and working fine... so im thinking O2 sensor, but I dont know squat, so before I find out who wants to lay bets on this asymptomatic light. As I said all works and runs fine, no odd noises either.

Where are you located?

I have ScanTool , I could check what the CEL is for. :)

ROFL after being on for like 4 days, it turned off, but i'm sure it will be back.

I am located in Toronto, North York, Bathurst N Finch. Id apreciate a scan, save me some money which I dont have anyways. But it won't show anything till the CEL returns right?

And as for the quiet we should liven things up a little... anyone know any good jokes?

If the light was on and has now turned off, the trouble code should be stored in the ECU's memory.

If you want to take bets, I'm going to say p0401. (Intake gasket leak).

Mike

I am having the same problem (cel on then off) except mine code is p305. Miss fire #5. still not able to fix the problem Good luck with your ford

SVT Driver

Oh man, I hope im not gonna get the same code, a misfire is pretty serious problem, but I think I would have felt it if mine had that. We'll find out soon enough, I'm gonna take up Apex' offer of a scan. Ill keep ya'll posted :)

Oh man, I hope im not gonna get the same code, a misfire is pretty serious problem, but I think I would have felt it if mine had that. We'll find out soon enough, I'm gonna take up Apex' offer of a scan. Ill keep ya'll posted :)

Please send me a PM to remind me, in case I forget. :)

I have a good tech question while were on the subject...

My 95 merc has been off the road since new years with this problem. The car will start but not stop running. You dissconect the battery both positive and negitive and it still runs. I changed the ignition switch to see if that would solve the problem. The problem was still there and it got more crazy from there cause at the garage the car ran with out the battery and without the Ignition switch in the car. The only way to get the car to die is to pull the plug on the coil. What the heck is wrong with my car..do i need to start calling some priests and grab some holy water????

bahahahhaahahahahahahahahahhhhahhaa

ROFL

I'm sorry that I found that extremely hilarious, while most of us can't get our cars to start, yours doesn't stop running.

Tell you what, I'll buy it from you if it runs without gas too.

On the serious note, maybe ignition wires are shorting somewhere, any starter grind at all?

Another thing is to look for the transformers logo somewhere, you never know; this thing has a mind of its own already. stubborn s.o.b.

no grind..new wires..Im baffled
Tones of power at the coil..found that out the hard way unpluging the thing
The body and motor was geting tired to boot time for a new car

I don't know what to tell you mang, it's a strange phenomenon.

Do you have remote start on it?

Maybe that's what's screwing things up, but then again it's not because the remote start is hooked to the ignition switch. I know that mine can't run by itself on remote start unless the module controls the run time(it shuts off[the car] after 8 minutes max if started on remote)

I remember reading about false starts with 96 tours where the starter engages by itself due to wiring/computer problems, but to cause the vehicle to idle....:crazy::confused:

weird

Something must be powering the all the relays that keeps the car running. I woudl start looking at the wiring from the igniton lock and trace it down. When you stalled the engine, did all the dash lights stayed on as if the key was still in the on position?

No the car gauges and everything else shut down properly but the car comenced running. I'm shooping for a new car as we speak. I might get another Contour just newer and a V6 because the zetec in all honestly a turd in that car LOL. I got all the parts still so I might just get another one to replace it

Well a long deserved update, sorry I've been a bit busy here and there.

The winning code was P1151 Sensor indicates lean upstream Bank2, so I replaced the O2 sensor (130 at Canadian tire, what a rip) and so far so good, no codes have returned. Since the repair, I now sleep better, I recommend everyone checks their CELs as a self-help method lol.

Back