• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Be careful out there - it is very icy

Interior
DSC02500.jpg

DSC02504.jpg

Seat belt broke - won't retract
DSC02492.jpg

No other damage.
DSC02493.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

rear bumper
DSC02496.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

Seemed to have held up alright....I'd guess the inital estimate to be in the $5500 to $6000 range (airbags and chassis surrounding radiator).

The airbag deployed?!!!! :shocked: You didn't mention that!
How is your face?
I didn't hit the airbag (thank you seatbelt!!). The car stinks inside right now, but I'm ok.

I remember the airbag billowing out, but it wasn't a forceful pop like you saw in "airbags kill!" news reports from the 90s. Maybe the latest gen is better at that, or maybe my brain was operating in slow motion.

I didn't hit the airbag (thank you seatbelt!!). The car stinks inside right now, but I'm ok.

I remember the airbag billowing out, but it wasn't a forceful pop like you saw in "airbags kill!" news reports from the 90s. Maybe the latest gen is better at that, or maybe my brain was operating in slow motion.

yea its called dual stage airbags...they can deploy at a slower speed depending on the severity of the crash. that does suck tho...im a fan of the legacys. and the seatbelt is the pretentioner. when the airbag goes off it sets that off too. basically it just pulls the seatbelt back more to help restrain you.

Wow, where have I been? I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm sure glad you are ok. Hope everything is going alright with the repairs.

The car will be repaired. No suspension or unibody damage. :cool: :cool:

$8000 total. 40 hours labor, over course of 4 weeks, est date Jan 30th.

- bumper (all components except right foglamp assy)
- grille
- headlights
- hood
- air intake
- radiator, condensor, fan assembly
- core support (same part that I paid $$ to replace in my Nissan!)
- entire airbag system as required by Subaru: driver airbag, clockspring/wires, entire control system, both sensors
- both seat belts

I am buying a set of new all-season for the SVT, which I will swap onto the GT toward end of January.

Looks like you'll need to schedule that alignment on the SVT asap, eh?

Good luck with the repairs! Let us know how your experience with the body shop turns out too.

Holy crap! I thought this was just a PSA! Sorry I never read it, and I'm really glad you and the car are okay! man, oh man would it have been a shame if this car was totalled!

Once again, I'm REALLY glad you two are okay:cool:

Oh, BTW, almost got hit head-on by a school bus that was speeding and understeering on ice right near my house today. He was doing about 45, I was doing about 20. Scary!:shocked:

Saw the car on Friday morning as I dropped off the new snow tires.
Tire tread was 4/32" (fronts) and 6/32" (rears). Rotated every 6k.
The car is on a precision laser frame rack. As I understand it, the body is within spec (1mm margin of error?); no hidden damage.
The side support/tie bar was damaged. The airbag sensor is located on that bar; it was completely destroyed. Every part is being replaced and there was no impact past that point. Nothing on the car is being "repaired," except new paint on the existing fenders.

Stay safe everyone. There have been far too many ice-related accidents this month.
If you do not venture out of this forum often - look at topic regarding starjammir in CI forum (link). He was badly injured tonight.

DSC02505.jpg

lasers and points
DSC02507.jpg

disassembled
DSC02508.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

a little mangled .. lower tie bar, support
DSC02506.jpg

what it should look like (passenger side)
DSC02510.jpg

Any ,say intercooler or motor upgrades at the same time? Insurance take care of most of it? Glad to see your ok.

I had considered JDM STI front bumper and grille, but ultimately decided against. Slight pang of regret, as I really don't like the GT front end, and this is gorgeous. :drool: But costs and car-downtime won out overall.

XXD69Q6R.jpg

No engine mods/etc. The car is under warranty, and anyway, I don't often mod for performance. ;)

Back